Mednafen Members Members   Search Search   Help Help   Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
Home » Mednafen » General » Suikoden II crashes during battle
Show: Today's Messages  :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Suikoden II crashes during battle [message #4267] Wed, 30 December 2015 23:09 Go to next message
Combombo  [PM]
I've been trying to play Suikoden II (Patched for bugfixes, if that makes a difference) via the Mednafen core in Retroarch. It seemed to run fine for a while, but now the game will completely lock up on occasion during battles. It appears to be mostly random, but it seems to occur most often after several turns have gone by, and/or after I use runes.

I'm relatively new to both Mednafen and Retroarch, and I haven't been able to find any sort of error log to see what's going on. Any help with either of these would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Suikoden II crashes during battle [message #4269 is a reply to message #4267 ] Thu, 31 December 2015 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
Retroarch is not Mednafen.

Test the game in Mednafen, and test the unpatched game as well.

[Updated on: Thu, 31 December 2015 21:10]

Re: Suikoden II crashes during battle [message #4271 is a reply to message #4269 ] Thu, 31 December 2015 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Combombo  [PM]
Ah, I didn't realize how different Mednafen proper and the Retroach core were, my mistake.

I guess it's the patch, I get the same crash in regular Mednafen, but the vanilla game works fine. Guess I'll have to figure something out from here. Thanks though!
Re: Suikoden II crashes during battle [message #4272 is a reply to message #4271 ] Thu, 31 December 2015 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
If you set the psx.dbg_level setting to 3, you miiight be able to debug the problem a little, maybe see if the code is causing an exception, or getting stuck in an infinite loop trying to access the CD.

(If on Windows, it'll log messages to the file "stdout.txt", otherwise it'll just log them to standard output).
Re: Suikoden II crashes during battle [message #4286 is a reply to message #4272 ] Mon, 04 January 2016 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Combombo  [PM]
The very last thing in the error log after a crash looks like this:

Quote:

[CPU] Exception ADES(0x05) @ PC=0x8003e44c(NP=0x00000004, NPM=0xffffffff), Instr=0xae0536c0, IPCache=0x00, CAUSE=0x00000000, SR=0x40020401, IRQC_Status=0x0000, IRQC_Mask=0x026d

I'll confess I'm not really sure what that means. There are also a few entries throughout the [CDC] sections that all look like this, all with different numbers after timeleft:

Quote:

[CDC] WARNING: Interrupting command 0x09, phase=2, timeleft=965108 with command=0x02

Re: Suikoden II crashes during battle [message #4328 is a reply to message #4286 ] Sat, 19 March 2016 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pyriel  [PM]
Hi. This might be a little late, but it is indeed the patch. Without going into too much technical detail, there are separate modules in this game for the first round of battle and the second and beyond, and I screwed up a couple lines in the Rune Speed patch for the second round module. The patch script started replacing data a bit too early, and left behind a store operation that, due to the other changes, will wind up writing to an unaligned address in kernel RAM three-fourths of the time. Some emulators don't really care about address alignment, but this one apparently does.

It will only happen if you use magic in a round after the first, and choose the spell/skill in slot 2-4 on the Rune. If you use the first spell or a Rune Unite, it'd work fine.

Since this patch was only in my GitHub, I assume you got it there. I've pushed an update that should remedy the issue. Alternatively, that patch is fairly low-priority, so you could just deselect it in the patch menu. The issue it's meant to fix only happens very rarely when you do a Rune Unite, and when it happens, the caster just gets a current-round-only boost in speed that they shouldn't.
Re: Suikoden II crashes during battle [message #4330 is a reply to message #4267 ] Sun, 20 March 2016 17:46 Go to previous message
Combombo  [PM]
Ah, I see. I fixed the problem by using an older version of the patch, but I guess I'll try out the new one now. Thanks for making the patch by the way, it really helps make Suiko2 way more playable.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Getting mednafen to work on a mac
Next Topic:Formats: .cue, .bin, .toc, .img and .sub
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ ]

Current Time: Wed May 1 21:26:03 CDT 2024
.:: Contact :: Home ::.