Mednafen Members Members   Search Search   Help Help   Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
Home » Mednafen » Development » Mednafen PSX PBP support?
Show: Today's Messages  :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Mednafen PSX PBP support? [message #4306] Wed, 27 January 2016 20:49 Go to next message
NewYears1978  [PM]
Are there any plans to add pbp support for Mednafen PSX?

I really like Mednafen PSX over ePSXe but no pbp support is frustrating.

Thanks Smile
Re: Mednafen PSX PBP support? [message #4308 is a reply to message #4306 ] Wed, 27 January 2016 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
Nope.
Re: Mednafen PSX PBP support? [message #4309 is a reply to message #4308 ] Thu, 28 January 2016 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NewYears1978  [PM]
May I ask why?

Vagrant Story (just for example sake) goes from 700mb to under 100mb. Most games compress 25-50%

Why would this NOT be a feature? Especially since every other emulator supports it already :\

[Updated on: Thu, 28 January 2016 01:45]

Re: Mednafen PSX PBP support? [message #4311 is a reply to message #4309 ] Thu, 28 January 2016 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
AFAICT, it's an underdocumented, overly complex, proprietary commercial format, and any support in Mednafen would likely be hacky and incomplete.
Re: Mednafen PSX PBP support? [message #4312 is a reply to message #4311 ] Thu, 28 January 2016 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NewYears1978  [PM]
Administrator wrote on Thu, 28 January 2016 11:05

AFAICT, it's an underdocumented, overly complex, proprietary commercial format, and any support in Mednafen would likely be hacky and incomplete.

Okay, well thanks for your reply. Am saddened because I prefer to run Retroarch for ease of use, but I guess it's back to ePSXe then :\
Re: Mednafen PSX PBP support? [message #4313 is a reply to message #4311 ] Thu, 28 January 2016 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Awakened  [PM]
Administrator wrote on Thu, 28 January 2016 11:05

Would something like MESS/MAME's CHD format be a better fit?
Re: Mednafen PSX PBP support? [message #4314 is a reply to message #4313 ] Thu, 28 January 2016 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NewYears1978  [PM]
From my understanding they are similar.

I only just recently learned about PBP from a HyperSpinner. It's apparently the format used on the PSP which is basically just a PSX compression method. I suppose a CHD is similar although I don't know how to convert BIN/CUE to CHD but if that's possible, that would work.

Currently I just use mednafen with Bin/cue but my disks are getting full.

Also with PBP you can combine multi discs into one and then swamp disks with a key (Seen this with PCX Rearmed on ARM devices with retroarch and PBP files)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsYHys9steE
Re: Mednafen PSX PBP support? [message #4557 is a reply to message #4314 ] Thu, 29 September 2016 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SCO_  [PM]
I wonder why all the people wanting these don't look at the advances in speedy decoding speed. For example, the linux kernel 'just' got support one of the fastest algorithms for decompression that is still not too shabby on compression (lz4). It sounds like the best possible compression for large disk games since it at least tries to perserve some sort of random seeking behavior. No huge gains without audio transcoders or lossy scrubbers (like dolphin that has the luck of having a better coded library of games without funky stupid hardware DRM), but still not too shabby.

Anyway, if you want to try lz4, you can use it on the recent 3.19 kernels on squashfs. Install mksquashfs, compress with the right methods, sudo mount it and test how long it takes to start a emulator. My bet its that it's not long at all. But this mounting crap needs to be portable and userspace not to ask passwords so i'd guess it's a long day in hell before we see retroarch mount squash archives in windows (without fuse ported to the windows kernel anyway, like they always steal ideas).

[Updated on: Thu, 29 September 2016 06:56]

Re: Mednafen PSX PBP support? [message #4558 is a reply to message #4306 ] Thu, 29 September 2016 20:05 Go to previous message
SCO_  [PM]
Ok, as a followup to my previous post about lz4 and squash i made a experiment of squashing my ps1 dir with lz4 and without the files being 'ecm'ed' (it would be much smaller with that, but unfortunately, mednafen doesn't support it and epsxe has bugs around its support for it and loading from cue files instead of .bin.ecm).

So, i have a dir with 132 games (not cd images) and 103,6 gigabytes and applied

mksquashfs Playstation ps1.sqsh -comp lz4 -b 256k

to 'zip' the whole thing into a single file

Got a result of
Parallel mksquashfs: Using 2 processors
Creating 4.0 filesystem on ps1.sqsh, block size 262144.
[=========================================================-] 395445/395445 100%

Exportable Squashfs 4.0 filesystem, lz4 compressed, data block size 262144
	compressed data, compressed metadata, compressed fragments, compressed xattrs
	duplicates are removed
Filesystem size 72013868.04 Kbytes (70326.04 Mbytes)
	71.21% of uncompressed filesystem size (101129396.74 Kbytes)
Inode table size 1481488 bytes (1446.77 Kbytes)
	91.53% of uncompressed inode table size (1618552 bytes)
Directory table size 16346 bytes (15.96 Kbytes)
	40.63% of uncompressed directory table size (40230 bytes)
Number of duplicate files found 14
Number of inodes 804
Number of files 670
Number of fragments 5
Number of symbolic links  0
Number of device nodes 0
Number of fifo nodes 0
Number of socket nodes 0
Number of directories 134
Number of ids (unique uids + gids) 1
Number of uids 1
	sco (1000)
Number of gids 1
	sco (1000)

(duplicated files probably come from new redump format seperating music tracks into their own bins... probably Tomb Raider songs now that i think about it... unfortunately i suspect file deduplication inside multiple iso filesystems inside a squashfs is a expecting too much).

It mounts pretty much instantly. Loading files in the middle in a emulator... i can't tell the difference? One or two seconds slower? Who cares (and this is in a lousy usb 2.0 external hhd on hardware from a decade ago, so it's not like the latest and greatest).

Problems with this is that this format is true read only. You can only append to it, which isn't a great deal of trouble with the ps1 anyway considering it's dead and new translations are few and far between.

And of course it requires sudo which is the real deal breaker for inclusion on retroarch/whatever (oh why can gnome mount whatever shit it wants but i can't mount a read only filesystem?).

[Updated on: Thu, 29 September 2016 20:15]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Sega Dreamcast
Next Topic:Strange question
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ ]

Current Time: Sat May 18 10:50:33 CDT 2024
.:: Contact :: Home ::.