Mednafen Members Members   Search Search   Help Help   Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
Home » Mednafen » Development » Improved sound performance with Game_Music_Emu??
Show: Today's Messages  :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Improved sound performance with Game_Music_Emu?? [message #446] Fri, 21 July 2006 00:21 Go to next message
wasabimario  [PM]
Could mednafen use Game_Music_Emu to improve performance???

From an email with the dev of : Game_Music_Emu

http://www.slack.net/~ant/libs/

[about mednafen] For NES, it uses a
processor-intensive sound synthesis method that was in the earlier
Festalon music player. My band-limited synthesis method used in
Blip_Buffer and my sound chip emulators is actually based on what
Festalon used, but infinitely faster, so there wouldn't be much of a difference between these.

Re: Improved sound performance with Game_Music_Emu?? [message #451 is a reply to message #446 ] Sun, 30 July 2006 05:43 Go to previous message
blargg  [PM]
Mednafen already uses Blip_Buffer for several sound chips in other systems. Last time I checked, it was even using it for post-filtering of NES sound, but still using the Festalon-style slow-but-really-accurate sound synthesis for the main emulation. I'm assuming that a lot of work has gone into this accurate method, so replacing it with something else is unlikely. It would require a significant amount of rewriting of the NES sound chips. Blip_Buffer also doesn't make handling the non-linear DAC behavior of the NES APU very easy. A kind of hacky way to use Blip_Buffer with minimal changes would be to continue using the current 1.79 MHz internal buffer, and instead of filtering this as is currently done, step through it and generate the differences between samples and wherever this is non-zero, feed it to a Blip_Buffer. This could probably be offered as an option for slower machines. I actually think this optimization could be incorporated into the slow-but-accurate filter code too, but I haven't looked at it in much depth.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Qs for Administrator
Next Topic:Mednafen 0.6.4
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ ]

Current Time: Sat May 18 05:31:26 CDT 2024
.:: Contact :: Home ::.