Mednafen Members Members   Search Search   Help Help   Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
Home » Mednafen » Development » status of sdl sound?
Show: Today's Messages  :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
status of sdl sound? [message #566] Thu, 26 October 2006 18:17 Go to next message
haikai  [PM]
Hi Admin, This is more a matter of curiousity than anything, but is SDL sound supported or going to be supported by Mednafen? I noticed that in the documentation page, -sounddevice and -sounddriver were removed, yet mednafen --help still shows me them. I've never been able to figure out how to switch to SDL although I know you did some work on that driver.

If SDL were a sufficient replacement, would you switch away from the SexyAL layer? What pros and cons do you see?

The OSS compatibility layer will be around well after OSS drivers are removed from the kernel tree, but still I wondered your thoughts on migrating away from OSS.

Thanks for humouring me :]
Re: status of sdl sound? [message #572 is a reply to message #566 ] Sat, 28 October 2006 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
I was able to achieve lower latency(without sound distortion) by using OSS directly instead of using SDL. However, this was several years ago, and was using SDL audio on top of OSS, not ALSA...

I'll make the sounddriver setting actually do something in the next release.

[Updated on: Sat, 28 October 2006 00:46]

Re: status of sdl sound? [message #573 is a reply to message #572 ] Sat, 28 October 2006 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haikai  [PM]
Thank you, I look forward to experimenting with it. Those that use sound servers will find it useful as well.
Re: status of sdl sound? [message #574 is a reply to message #566 ] Sun, 29 October 2006 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
I've written an ALSA driver, which will also be in the next release.

The next release will also have a JACK driver.

[Updated on: Sun, 29 October 2006 07:55]

Re: status of sdl sound? [message #575 is a reply to message #574 ] Sun, 29 October 2006 15:09 Go to previous message
haikai  [PM]
Wow, that's great news - I think you've all the bases covered Smile

Native ALSA is definitely my preference. My P3-900 notebook is a bit marginal when emulating the NES; I'm hopeful this will give it a (very) small boost. I've gotten lower latency out of ALSA by adjusting period_size & time and buffer_size & time via .asoundrc.

With unexpected free time today, I'm making a Mednafen front-end script for Kaptain (kaptain.sf.net).
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Mednafen 0.6.5 - Apple OpenGL problem
Next Topic:[Request] TXT Input file..
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ ]

Current Time: Sat May 18 04:08:50 CDT 2024
.:: Contact :: Home ::.