Mednafen Members Members   Search Search   Help Help   Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
Home » Mednafen » Development » How to compile 1.29 on macOS 12.5.1
Show: Today's Messages  :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
How to compile 1.29 on macOS 12.5.1 [message #6762] Sun, 04 September 2022 16:43 Go to next message
emabolo  [PM]
Hello
I have been trying to compile mednafen on macOS monterey but I have problems with the required libraries.
I receive this error:

configure: error: *** libflac >= 1.3.0 not found!

I went to the libflac website to install the library. But the only way to install on Mac is with homebrew. So I tried with "brew install flac", but apparently it's already installed:

Warning: flac 1.3.4 is already installed and up-to-date.

Anyway configure does not see it. Is there a way to tell configure where to find the library?
Thanks a lot

Manu
Re: How to compile 1.29 on macOS 12.5.1 [message #6778 is a reply to message #6762 ] Sun, 18 September 2022 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yuri Bacon  [PM]
I've only limited experience with brew, but are you trying to build mednafen with brew, or outside of it? I think things installed with brew is installed to its own directory that is supposed to be added to some path somewhere but if it wasn't you'd have to do it yourself, or just build mednafen with brew (which is what I did when install mednafen on MacOS). Hope you get it figured out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
she/her
Use my mednafen servers? Contact me! https://discord.gg/ngZuC9c8Wr
Play Digimon Rumble Arena: https://discord.gg/wg5j5Np
Re: How to compile 1.29 on macOS 12.5.1 [message #6853 is a reply to message #6762 ] Fri, 10 February 2023 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dixius99  [PM]
Did you ever get it figured out? I just tried and got the same libflac message, though I also have flac installed via brew. Seems to compile fine on my older Intel Mac. Not quite sure what's going on.
Re: How to compile 1.29 on macOS 12.5.1 [message #6854 is a reply to message #6762 ] Sun, 12 February 2023 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yuri Bacon  [PM]
Another response now that I remember this thread exists: I think I've built mednafen on MacOS since my last post, and had issues with tons of dependencies either not installing with brew for some reason (couldn't understand why or how to fix it), or configure wouldn't seem them after installing with brew, but I was building mednafen manually rather than with brew. I ended up just getting the source tarballs for every dependency configure couldn't find and just building all of them manually too. Maybe that'll help, maybe not IDK.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
she/her
Use my mednafen servers? Contact me! https://discord.gg/ngZuC9c8Wr
Play Digimon Rumble Arena: https://discord.gg/wg5j5Np
Re: How to compile 1.29 on macOS 12.5.1 [message #6957 is a reply to message #6762 ] Mon, 13 November 2023 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ryan2594  [PM]
"libflac > 1.3.0 not found!" turns out to be a red herring. Well sort of- you do need it, but the more immediate problem (at least in my case) is that pkg-config, the program that mednafen's configure script actually uses to figure out if things are installed, was not installed. FLAC just happens to be the first thing it looks for, so that's the error that comes out.

So the full brew command to get set up should be:

brew install pkg-config flac sdl2

After that the configure script figured everything out for me.

Hope this helps someone!
Re: How to compile 1.29 on macOS 12.5.1 [message #7032 is a reply to message #6957 ] Sun, 14 April 2024 18:10 Go to previous message
dixius99  [PM]
I can't be certain, but I think I had all of the same packages already installed (including pkg-config) when I failed compiling previously (it was probably 1.31).

However, when 1.32.1 released, I decided to try again and see what happened. This time the compile went fine, other than several warnings. (But I got the same warnings with successful compiles in the past too, so I'm just going to ignore them)
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Mednaffe
Next Topic:Commerical License
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ ]

Current Time: Sat May 4 22:53:56 CDT 2024
.:: Contact :: Home ::.