Mednafen Members Members   Search Search   Help Help   Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
Home » Mednafen » Development » Creating a translation of Mednafen (.po file)
Show: Today's Messages  :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Creating a translation of Mednafen (.po file) [message #697] Tue, 13 February 2007 11:47 Go to next message
Dryer Lint  [PM]
While browsing through the Mednafen source I noticed that it uses .po files for translations so I decided to create a new one (German).
I opened the mednafen.pot in KBabel and started translating the strings.
After about 25% I saved the file and tried to compile Mednafen with it, but I don't really know how. I put the de.po file in the po directory and added "de" to the LINGUAS file, but after compiling and running Mednafen, the language was still English.

What do I need to do to compile in my own .po file? And is it used automatically?
Re: Creating a translation of Mednafen (.po file) [message #698 is a reply to message #697 ] Tue, 13 February 2007 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
If you don't use "make install", and you didn't pass a custom --prefix to configure, copy the "de.gmo"(compiled de.po) file to /usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/mednafen.mo

Then run mednafen like:
env LANGUAGE=de_DE ./mednafen

(I think those instructions are right...mostly Wink).

Re: Creating a translation of Mednafen (.po file) [message #699 is a reply to message #698 ] Tue, 13 February 2007 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dryer Lint  [PM]
For some reason de.po isn't compiled into de.gmo. I only have es.gmo and ru.gmo.
Re: Creating a translation of Mednafen (.po file) [message #700 is a reply to message #697 ] Tue, 13 February 2007 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
Do a: make update-po
in the po directory
Re: Creating a translation of Mednafen (.po file) [message #701 is a reply to message #700 ] Wed, 14 February 2007 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dryer Lint  [PM]
Ah, thanks. It was update-gmo, though, but now it works!

I translated the whole mednafen.pot now (286 messages) but I have a few questions:

First a general question: Is Mednafen addressing the user politely or personal? Because in German this is an important difference.
Usually, commercial programs from "big" companies use the polite form, while freeware authors use what they feel like using.
I'm leaning towards the polite form, but you should be deciding this.

Now for some message-specific questions:

31 It wouldn't be possible to reorder day month and year here, right?
67 Does it have any significance that the string ends on a double-space?
79 What exactly does Four-screen mean? I suppose that it is a type of mirroring, but I'm not sure how to translate it. Does it mean "four screens" or something different?
92+93 what is a snapshot in this message? A savestate? Because in the documentation "snapshot" is only used when referring to screenshots.

There are a lot of "Error allocating memory for something-something" messages, it would make future translations easier if you could change it so that there is only a message that says "Error allocating memory for %s" and then have separate strings for "PRG ROM" "NSF structure", etc.
The same goes for "Error reading -foo-" and "select input device #", etc.

Also, after trying Mednafen out for a bit, I noticed there are still lots of untranslated messages, most notably those from the --help command but also when starting Mednafen ("Loading settings from ...", "Initializing joysticks..." " OpenGL Implementation:" "Checking maximum texture size..." "Apparently it is at least:"). And the F1 help screen really needs a translation, too.

Some of the comments in the pot file also seem outdated.

Although personally, I don't care much if you don't correct this any time, soon, I'd rather have you work on more interesting stuff. Wink

I attached my de.po file if you or anybody else want to test it.
And of course you can include it with future Mednafen versions if you want!

EDIT: Attachment removed, see newer post for revised version!

[Updated on: Fri, 16 February 2007 19:52]

Re: Creating a translation of Mednafen (.po file) [message #702 is a reply to message #701 ] Wed, 14 February 2007 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
You can reorder the day and month, but you'll need to prefix the format specifier with $n, where n = the argument number, starting from 1. Normally, this wouldn't work on other platforms, like Windows, but Mednafen uses a custom *printf() library for compatibility...though there may be a few areas in the code where I forgot to use it. Wink

An equivalent English string.
Dumped on: %1$s %2$d, %3$d\n

Four screen...means that the NES has background map memory(for scrolling) for 4 active display areas(256x240)...so I suppose a literal translation of "screen" or "display" would be ok...

I'll see what I can do about harmonizing the error messages...
Re: Creating a translation of Mednafen (.po file) [message #703 is a reply to message #697 ] Wed, 14 February 2007 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
Here's a poooofile with more(untranslated) strings.

• Attachment: de.po
    (Size: 42.73KB, Downloaded 383 time(s))

Re: Creating a translation of Mednafen (.po file) [message #708 is a reply to message #703 ] Fri, 16 February 2007 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dryer Lint  [PM]
Ah, excellent!

Well, I translated everything again.

Message 68 and 69 seem to be identical except that 68 has a space at the beginning, is that intentional?

288 What is the meaning of this message, is it to say Mednafen can't run at all or is it uncertain?

307 and 366 are also identical

But, some of the new translations aren't used by Mednafen. Should I worry about this or is this because you created this .po off of a newer revision of the source than the one I have?

I also think I found some untranslated strings: The "background", "sprites" etc. strings when toggling via CTRL+n.
And when opening a PC Engine CD iso+cue, there's either "data" or "audio" behind each track.

EDIT: attachment removed, see latest post by yours truly!

[Updated on: Sat, 17 February 2007 03:52]

Re: Creating a translation of Mednafen (.po file) [message #709 is a reply to message #708 ] Fri, 16 February 2007 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
Quote:

Message 68 and 69 seem to be identical except that 68 has a space at the beginning, is that intentional?

Nope!

Quote:

288 What is the meaning of this message, is it to say Mednafen can't run at all or is it uncertain?

It's to say that Mednafen probably won't be able to display graphics, unless the OpenGL implementation is lying(which is possible, but unlikely).

Quote:

307 and 366 are also identical

One refers to a plural noun(pad vs pads, the WonderSwan has 2 dpads, the Lynx has 1), the other doesn't(that IS intentional). :B

Quote:

But, some of the new translations aren't used by Mednafen. Should I worry about this or is this because you created this .po off of a newer revision of the source than the one I have?

Don't worry, it's generated off of my development tree.

Quote:

I also think I found some untranslated strings: The "background", "sprites" etc. strings when toggling via CTRL+n.
And when opening a PC Engine CD iso+cue, there's either "data" or "audio" behind each track.

[/quote]
Ok, I'll look into those!
Re: Creating a translation of Mednafen (.po file) [message #719 is a reply to message #709 ] Sat, 17 February 2007 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dryer Lint  [PM]
I corrected a few things, here's a new de.po.

BTW I added that Mednafen might not run correctly to the <256 OpenGL message, because I think it was just too ambiguous before, you may want to add something like "Mednafen might not run correctly" to the english version of the message.

EDIT: Attachment removed, new version below!

[Updated on: Sat, 29 September 2007 08:25]

Re: Creating a translation of Mednafen (.po file) [message #945 is a reply to message #697 ] Sun, 30 September 2007 08:29 Go to previous message
Dryer Lint  [PM]
I updated the german translation to the latest version of Mednafen (0.8.4-rc2). All strings are translated and some errors and inaccuracies from the old version are corrected.

BTW, I encountered an error in the makefile while compiling:
I didn't have gettext (and thus msgfmt) installed so when I executed make update-gmo it would simply fail, complaining about t-de.gmo not existing. An error/warning message would be nice if msgfmt is not installed.

Also, after seeing some of the unused strings in the po-file, I'm really excited about the next release! Smile

• Attachment: de.po
    (Size: 60.96KB, Downloaded 476 time(s))

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Patch to disable save state/movie compression
Next Topic:Might wanna fix the "Darwin Ports" link...
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ ]

Current Time: Sat May 18 07:18:30 CDT 2024
.:: Contact :: Home ::.