Mednafen Members Members   Search Search   Help Help   Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
Home » Mednafen » Development » PulseAudio support
Show: Today's Messages  :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
PulseAudio support [message #969] Sat, 10 November 2007 16:17 Go to next message
nerdy_girlscout  [PM]
I was wondering what the status of PulseAudio support in mednafen is. I just installed Fedora 8 and have grown very found of PulseAudio. Is it supported, or are you working on it? I was able to select esd and let it get wrapped through PulseAudio, but it was rather slow unfortunately. In case you don't know about PulseAudio:

http://www.pulseaudio.org/

Whatever the case mednafen is still a great emu and I am always using it when emulating the system it supports Very Happy

EDIT: I tried using sdl for sound, and it seems to work good with PulseAudio.

EDIT2: Nevermind that. I don't know what I did yesterday but sdl is as slow as esd.

[Updated on: Sun, 11 November 2007 05:47]

Re: PulseAudio support [message #977 is a reply to message #969 ] Tue, 13 November 2007 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
SDL's sound support is generally a poor choice for emulators, although probably not so much so on OS X(whose callback sound API matches SDL's more closely).

How much will you donate if I add PulseAudio support? Wink
Re: PulseAudio support [message #981 is a reply to message #977 ] Wed, 14 November 2007 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nerdy_girlscout  [PM]
Umm..well you can sleep in my bed. Razz Or if you teach me programming I can donate code xD
Re: PulseAudio support [message #1258 is a reply to message #969 ] Fri, 30 May 2008 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MonkeeSage  [PM]
Set your alsa driver to use the pulseaudio plugin, then use the alsa driver in mednafen.

See: http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup
Re: PulseAudio support [message #1260 is a reply to message #1258 ] Sat, 31 May 2008 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MonkeeSage  [PM]
That actually doesn't work...hmm. It should make the alsa driver use the pulseaudio server, but I get an error that alsa can't open the default device when another app already has the server open. Hmmmmm....maybe I didn't do something right...
Re: PulseAudio support [message #1261 is a reply to message #1260 ] Sat, 31 May 2008 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nerdy_girlscout  [PM]
Actually, I am not interested in PulseAudio anymore, so the topic can be closed. I tried OSS4 and it's a lot better at what it does (It doesn't have networking features but I am not interested in that.), with lower latency than anything else and software mixing with selectable volume for every stream.
Re: PulseAudio support [message #1329 is a reply to message #969 ] Tue, 30 September 2008 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tuxie  [PM]
I found that the only way to get reliable sound with PulseAudio in Mednafen is to use the OSS sounddriver and run mednafen with padsp. A hack, but it works fine. Proper PA-support would be great though...
Re: PulseAudio support [message #1330 is a reply to message #969 ] Sun, 12 October 2008 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pizuz  [PM]
I found that Mednafen has much lower latency with ALSA than with OSS. You should definitely try setting it up against ALSA (try not to have any other app play sound in the meantime).
Re: PulseAudio support [message #2717 is a reply to message #969 ] Fri, 19 October 2012 11:32 Go to previous message
Eusebio  [PM]
Medafen-wip works perfect with pulseaudio 2.1 using alsa output. Cool
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Mednafen 0.9.25-WIP binaries for Mac
Next Topic:Atari Lynx - support for AUDIN switchable ROMs
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ ]

Current Time: Sat May 18 12:16:43 CDT 2024
.:: Contact :: Home ::.