Mednafen Members Members   Search Search   Help Help   Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
Home » Mednafen » Development » prefered color depth setting through mednafen.cfg....please
Show: Today's Messages  :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
prefered color depth setting through mednafen.cfg....please [message #1795] Wed, 18 August 2010 17:07 Go to next message
geoff  [PM]
as i found out 32bit color depth was causing all these weird color blinking problems (also massive slow-down) with my Matrox Pahelia/G400..
if i remove 32 bit modes from display setting, then everything works just fine...but i need those 32 bit modes for my desktop and others
i guess something isn't compatible between Mednafen's and Matrox's '32'....

anyway, thank you for releasing Mednafen
it's Lynx support is SUPER !!

p.s. as for snes driver, i noticed the driver doesn't work with sound emulation disabled, sampling rate detimines frame rates (48000->60fps, 44100->45fps, 22050->25fps), fps isn't constant with stereo setting ON....
probably the driver is still in wip stage..maybe that's why....
just to report ..incase you are not aware of it... Smile
Re: prefered color depth setting through mednafen.cfg....please [message #1796 is a reply to message #1795 ] Wed, 18 August 2010 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
Is it Parhelia or G400? If it's the latter, why are you using a card that's so old? Wink

If 32bpp is causing slowdowns in the manner you described, it's probably because the card is running out of memory. How much does it have, and what resolution are you running at?
Re: prefered color depth setting through mednafen.cfg....please [message #1797 is a reply to message #1796 ] Wed, 18 August 2010 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
geoff  [PM]
actually i tested both...
first, with Matrox Pahelia, it looks like some sort of special filtering is ON ...
let's say ...it's like a 'SaturdayNightFever2X' filter
'bright flashing lights every where' ....i see Red, Blue, Green and seldomly Yellow ones too...
but i guess it's great for VB driver...no need for 3D glases ...it's right there !!
if you want i can make video for it Smile
and as for the G400 goes (so you still remember 'G400' ?...oh man, you have a good memory), i think you are right...massive slow down is caused by low memory...since it has only 32mb of ram and 32bit consumes much more memory...

anyway, both cards still run perfectly with 16bit...so it would be nice somehow we can have some control over color depth setting (if it's not already there)...

[Updated on: Wed, 18 August 2010 23:49]

Re: prefered color depth setting through mednafen.cfg....please [message #1801 is a reply to message #1795 ] Sat, 21 August 2010 20:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
Could you make a video of the color distortion on the Parhelia? It may be useful in determining the cause.
Re: prefered color depth setting through mednafen.cfg....please [message #1802 is a reply to message #1795 ] Sat, 21 August 2010 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
Oh, and does bsnes' OpenGL video mode work ok or does it have the same problem?
Re: prefered color depth setting through mednafen.cfg....please [message #1806 is a reply to message #1802 ] Tue, 24 August 2010 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
geoff  [PM]
yes, i can confirm that it happens on both OpenGL, SDL drivers...and it's definitely something to do with memory, as i tested the exctly same (my friends' Pahelia) card with just more (128mb) memory worked like a charm...of course with identical setting, setup....

G400 (32mb of RAM) - massive slow down
Pahelia (64mb of RAM) - color blinking problem
Pahelia (128mb of RAM) - working like a charm !

just too bad i gotta give back his old Pahelia this weekend...
oh, and just to let you know, Mednafen even runs flawlessly @16bpp on Win98SE...during dual-boot, i took the wrong way

if you still want that video...juse give me a week or so...

[Updated on: Tue, 24 August 2010 05:03]

Re: prefered color depth setting through mednafen.cfg....please [message #1807 is a reply to message #1795 ] Tue, 24 August 2010 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
64MB of video card RAM should definitely be more than enough, unless there's something odd occurring.

Are you only using one monitor? What happens if you plug the monitor into the other port(I'm assuming your card has at least 2)?
Re: prefered color depth setting through mednafen.cfg....please [message #1808 is a reply to message #1807 ] Tue, 24 August 2010 15:45 Go to previous message
geoff  [PM]
yes, i'm just using one monitor with 2 cards, the one is a Matrox Pahelia AGP, the other one is a 3dfx Voodoo 4 PCI.
actually, I already tried, as you suggested, switching the monitor over to the Voodoo 4, but got the same problem as i had with G400...running like a 'ninja turtle', since it only has 32mb of memory just like G400....again worked just fine, if i removed 32bit modes from display property
i think it takes more memory, probably because the video card (Pahelia AGP) is connected to a PCI TV tuner and they (TV tuner+Pahelia) are working as a all-in-one display adapter...maybe 64mb is more than enough..
when i get back home, i'll pull out the TV tuner and see whether it's working fine without it...

[Updated on: Tue, 24 August 2010 16:04]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Self-Compiled SDL (1.2.13) for 'REAL' Windows users (ddraw over gdi)
Next Topic:Mednafen for GP2X/Wiz/Caanoo?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ ]

Current Time: Sat May 18 10:50:28 CDT 2024
.:: Contact :: Home ::.