Mednafen Members Members   Search Search   Help Help   Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
Home » Mednafen » Development » Mednafen IPv6 support
Show: Today's Messages  :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Mednafen IPv6 support [message #2172] Sat, 02 July 2011 17:57 Go to next message
Pinkbyte  [PM]
Hi, everyone! As you know, Mednafen support IPv6 on server side(mednafen-server) as experimental option, but there is no support on the client at all, because library, that do all network-related job(SDL_net) lacks support of IPv6. I made some work to change this situation. Now, i would like to introduce experimental patch to Mednafen, which gives it ability to play over IPv6. Patch is not so good: reasons - below...

Here is installation instructions:

1) First of all, you need SDL_net library, patched with this patch. I took some old patch for SDL_net, which adds ipv6 support and adapted it for new version of SDL_net(currently it works on SDL_net 1.2.7, maybe on newer versions it works too). There is a big problem with this patch - it breaks SDL_net internal API and all applications, that uses SDLNet_TCP_Open and SDLNet_ResolveHost functions, must be patched to compile and work correctly. Use it on your own risk! Compilation must be done with --enable-ipv6 option.

2) After successful installation of patched SDL_net library, you must download Mednafen sources. I tested patch on mednafet-0.9.17-wip and mednafen-0.8.13.3: these versions builds and works correctly. After unpacking sources, apply mednafen-ipv6.patch(attached to this post) and compile it with --enable-ipv6 option. Without this option - old code will be used

3) Now Mednafen will accept hostnames(in -nethost directive) that have both AAAA and A records(will try to connect on IPv6 address with fallback on IPv4) or only IPv6/IPv4 address. Clear IPv6 address(not domain name) as -nethost parameter is not supported at this time

I also attached patch for SDL_net in the post(just in case).

I will be glad, if anybody of Mednafen's developers will help to improve this patch. Thank you for your great work - for Mednafen!

P.S. Sorry for my bad english

Re: Mednafen IPv6 support [message #2184 is a reply to message #2172 ] Sun, 10 July 2011 04:10 Go to previous message
Pinkbyte  [PM]
I have updated SDL_net patch to work properly without tcp clients(for them it is backward compatible now). As for now, there is no need to patch mednafen's sources to get IPv6 work properly. All that you need is updated patch for SDL_net(attached in this port and also can be found here)

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Game Boy Classic, Super Game Boy, and Game Boy color.
Next Topic:Mega Drive / Genesis - x24C01 EEPROM Support
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ ]

Current Time: Sat May 18 10:20:52 CDT 2024
.:: Contact :: Home ::.