Mednafen Members Members   Search Search   Help Help   Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
Home » Mednafen » Development » Med3DV - Virtual Boy NVIDIA 3D Vision Viewer (win32)
Show: Today's Messages  :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Med3DV - Virtual Boy NVIDIA 3D Vision Viewer (win32) [message #2317] Sun, 04 December 2011 12:53 Go to next message
Masterxilo  [PM]
Hi!

I'm from Bern Switzerland.

I wrote this NVIDIA 3D Vision extension for Mednafen on Windows. It allows you to play Virtual Boy games in real stereoscopic 3D with the NVIDIA active shutter glasses in a separate fullscreen window.

I have tested it on many computers and all should work well, however I've only had one machine which actually has a 3D Vision monitor... (so if it does or does not work for you, please give feedback).
It should not create problems (tested on Win7 and Vista) and in theory should be complete.
I worked one weekend for this project.

I hope you appreciate the work.

Unfortunately I'm the only one to act as tester and (though my knowledge of programming is pretty good), if you encounter problems or if you have any request please report them to this topic.

Btw. this is my first post (and you might notice that I pretty much copied the post from Speedvicio about his MedGui (which I really recommend to anyone using mednafen on windows) xD).

Best regards
Paul

Download

Med3DV, Latest version (EXCLUSIVELY for mednafen-0.9.18-wip-win32)

I also uploaded the correct versions of all the other files you might need here:
mednafen-0-9-18-wip-win32-zip
MedGuiv1-998-zip
(.NET 3.5 SP1, included in Windows 7/might already be installed...: http://tinyurl.com/MedReqDotNet35SP1)
(I attached all of these to the post just in case the links stop working.)

Instructions: Start a Virtual Boy game in mednafen, sidebyside windowed mode, both colors set to white. Then run Med3DV.bat. Refer to the ReadMe for more information.

I also created a short video showing the complete setup of mednafen and MedGui with Med3DV on Windows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iDEWNY06sQ

How does it work?
Since I didn't want to recompile mednafen and change the whole graphics output to DirectX (3D Vision doesn't like OpenGL/SDL/Whatever mednafen uses), I chose a different approach: Using the source code and a debugger (OllyDbg) I figured out where I could easily get the image data the emulator produces. The dll, once injected, detours the program flow at this very location to my screen output updating routine - that's it.

The 3D output is done with DirectX 11 and is based on this sample. It creates a fullscreen window separate from the mednafen window (if it's not fullscreen for you for some rease, try hitting Alt+Backspace).

Fell free to ask more about the implementation. I'm planning to release the source too, once it's cleaned up.

The DllInjector is written by me too.

It's possible that some antivirus software gives false positives on either these files directly or while injecting (running the batch which calls the injector exe). Though mine doesn't (Microsoft security essentials). If this happens for you, please tell me, I'll try to figure something out. Of course if this happens and you still want to play, just disable the av software while playing.

[Updated on: Tue, 11 February 2014 12:07]

Re: Med3DV - Virtual Boy NVIDIA 3D Vision Viewer (win32) [message #3316 is a reply to message #2317 ] Tue, 11 February 2014 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
xyrts  [PM]
Is this extension still available? I would love to try it but your dropbox has been disabled.
Re: Med3DV - Virtual Boy NVIDIA 3D Vision Viewer (win32) [message #3317 is a reply to message #3316 ] Tue, 11 February 2014 12:07 Go to previous message
Masterxilo  [PM]
Sure, fixed them.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ixbar3000 -- frontend
Next Topic:Request: Global Pause key
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ ]

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 15:24:48 CDT 2024
.:: Contact :: Home ::.