Mednafen Members Members   Search Search   Help Help   Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
Home » Mednafen » Development » Mednafen 0.9.22-WIP binaries for Mac and how to compile your own
Show: Today's Messages  :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon14.gif  Mednafen 0.9.22-WIP binaries for Mac and how to compile your own [message #2560] Sun, 03 June 2012 03:21 Go to next message
idyll  [PM]
WARNING: THE BINARIES, FILES AND INSTRUCTIONS BELOW COME WITH NO GUARANTEE. IF SOMETHING DOESN'T WORK AS INTENDED OR CAUSES DAMAGE IN SOME WAY, IT'S NO ONE'S RESPONSIBILY BUT YOUR OWN. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK OR DON'T USE AT ALL.

If you accept the above warning and don't care about back story or compile instructions, then skip to the end of this post for the apps. Smile

The Story

This all started because I had difficulty finding high quality retro console emulators for my Mac. There are many choices if you look long enough, but I found most to be lacking in some way. When I found Mednafen I was surprised by how many systems it emulates and especially how well it works.

I was so impressed that I wanted to do something to show my support. This post is the culmination of that idea. Below are instructions for how I compiled Mednafen 0.9.22-WIP in 32-bit and 64-bit flavors for Mac OS X 10.5.8 and 10.6.8 respectively. Beneath that is my recommendation for a great GUI frontend named NekoLauncher Mednafen by Jazzin. Next are my thanks to everyone involved. Lastly, at the very bottom, are the binaries and files I put together to make it easy for other Mac users.

The Compile

Below is a bash script I wrote to easily compile Mednafen 0.9.22-WIP on a fresh install of Mac OS X 10.5.8 or 10.6.8. This script is named "mednafen_compile.command" and it's included in the "mednafen_0.9.22-wip_compile_macosx.zip" at the bottom of this post. Check out the spoiler section below if you want see all the steps it runs through and an explanation of those steps. Otherwise, you can just download the zip and double click the command file to start the compiling process. No guarantees it will work for you, but it might.

Toggle Spoiler

The Frontend GUI

Mednafen is a command line program. Just double clicking the "mednafen" executable will get you nowhere. You'll either need to execute it by typing commands into the "Terminal" or use a frontend with a graphical user interface.

I recommend NekoLauncher Mednafen by Jazzin. It has a nice clean interface with which to configre most of Mednafen's options. Jazzin's homepage is located here: http://nekocan.sitemix.jp/?page_id=17
Don't be afraid that most of it is in Japanese. There are other well crafted Mac frontends there too and they all have English interfaces.

I contacted Jazzin and Ryphecha about combining Mednafen and NekoLauncher Mednafen into one package and posting it on this forum. They both said "That's fine." Right to the point those two are. Smile The archive is "Mednafen_0.9.22-WIP_&_NekoLauncher_Mednafen_0.9.22-21.zip" posted below.

NekoLauncher Mednafen will only run on Mac OS X 10.6 or newer and the same goes for the 64-bit executable of Mednafen included with it. Unzip it, copy "NekoLauncher Mednafen.app" to its destination and start playing some old school games.

My Appreciation

Thank you to the Mednafen Team and all its contributors for such a great emulator. Thanks to Ryphecha for helping me with my compiling issue with gcc 4.0.1. Thanks to Jazzin for fixing a bug I found in NekoLauncher Mednafen and creating a great frontend. Thanks to both Ryphecha and Jazzin for giving me permission to post their programs here. Thanks to everyone who's managed to read this far.

The Files

For those of you who skipped ahead, here is a summary of the files listed below.

Mednafen_0.9.22-WIP_&_NekoLauncher_Mednafen_0.9.22-21.zip
The one I recommend to all users of Mac OS X 10.6.8 or newer. It includes both the Mednafen backend and the NekoLauncher Mednafen frontend.

mednafen_0.9.22-wip_macosx_x86_64.zip
Do you just want the Mednafen binaries for Mac OS X 10.6.8? Here ya go.

mednafen_0.9.22-wip_macosx_i386.zip
Stuck using a 32-bit Intel Mac and Mac OS X 10.5.8? This is the archive for you.

mednafen_0.9.22-wip_compile_macosx.zip
If you're feeling brave and want to compile your own binaries, then give this archive a try.

NOTE: All binaries are compiled without JACK. I just didn't see a need for it, but you're welcome to try compiling it for yourself.

Please reply below if the files work for you or not and what Mac OS X version you're using. This is simply to satisfy my curiousity. Good luck and happy retro gaming!

Mednafen 0.9.22-WIP binaries for Mac and how to compile your own [message #2561 is a reply to message #2560 ] Sun, 03 June 2012 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
idyll  [PM]
Nothing to see here.

[Updated on: Mon, 04 June 2012 00:12]

Re: Mednafen 0.9.22-WIP binaries for Mac and how to compile your own [message #2620 is a reply to message #2560 ] Thu, 12 July 2012 22:04 Go to previous message
Weedy Weed Smoker  [PM]
Thanks a lot !

I wanted to register just to say that it works perfectly !!!

BTW : I never saw an emulator looking as good as mednafen with hq2x scaler and an OpenGL scale2x pixel shader... without a slowdown !!!

[Updated on: Sat, 14 July 2012 19:24]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Mednafen sound output generating too many samples
Next Topic:ipsharper shader patch
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ ]

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 14:48:24 CDT 2024
.:: Contact :: Home ::.