Mednafen Members Members   Search Search   Help Help   Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
Home » Site » News » Mednafen 0.9.24-WIP
Show: Today's Messages  :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Mednafen 0.9.24-WIP [message #2621] Thu, 12 July 2012 22:20 Go to next message
Administrator  [PM]
This is a minor update to fix some netplay-related issues, add several new netplay commands(/swap, /dupe, /drop, and /take) and to improve PS1 emulation slightly to fix the game "Yarudora Series Vol.1 - Double Cast".

Mednafen-Server 0.5.0 (or higher) is necessary to use the new netplay commands and features they provide.

The netplay.merge setting has been removed, as similar functionality can be obtained by using the new commands, in a manner that is more flexible and user-friendly than the old setting was.

ChangeLog

[Updated on: Fri, 14 November 2014 21:57]

Re: Mednafen 0.9.24-WIP [message #2623 is a reply to message #2621 ] Fri, 13 July 2012 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marmotte  [PM]
Thank you for your efforts; I'm using Mednafen since many months and I'm really, really happy with it.

Recently I checked your PSX emulation (I didn't do it earlier because you wrote that it's still very buggy), and I was AMAZED at how well it works Smile
I tried a few games (Silent Hill, Brave Fencer Musashi, Jumping Flash, Ape Escape, Ridge Racer, Rage Racer ...etc) and the results were fantastic. Your emulator is even able to load multi-track games (games with separate audio tracks), which *I think* no other PSX emulator can do (unless you mount the game with the .cue file), so: kudos to you!

I may have a request regarding your PSX emulator though:
I'm actually using the Dualshock to play the PSX games, and it works well.. for most games. Unfortunately, many games aren't compatible with it (like the *real* games on a *real* system), because they require the original PSX gamepad (or to switch off the analog feature on your Dualshock).

So, here's something that you may add if you are interested:
- Maybe we should be able to switch PSX gamepads using a single key press while the game is already running?
- If so, we should also be able to assign that key to the controller we are currently using? (Actually the Dualshock had a button to enable/disable analog controls - maybe you forgot about it, like the L3/R3 last time Smile )
- Or, this is the best solution: all the games start with the original gamepad enabled. Then the emulator waits a bit (until the game is loaded), and if it detects that the game is Dualshock compatible, it's automatically enabled? I think that's how it worked with the real PSX: the game itself detects if a Dualshock is plugged or not.
^ The emulator ePSXe is doing that, apparently.

That's, I think, a nice feature to add Smile
And again: congratulations with your excellent emulators!
Re: Mednafen 0.9.24-WIP [message #2624 is a reply to message #2623 ] Fri, 13 July 2012 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sparklewind  [PM]
Isn't a better solution already implemented? I might be mistaken, but it seems that if you select dualanalog in the settings, then all Dual Shock games will be in analog mode, and if you play a game that does not use the analog mode at all then it will automatically fake the analog mode by cloning the d-pad controls to the left analog stick so that the d-pad and the left analog stick will do the same thing. The vibration feature still isn't implemented though, and I hope it will be in the future. Silent Hill gets a lot creepier with vibration.
Re: Mednafen 0.9.24-WIP [message #2625 is a reply to message #2624 ] Fri, 13 July 2012 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marmotte  [PM]
I'll try again tonight, but I don't think so.

For example it's not possible to play a game like Ridge Racer (and many other games, I can try to list some if you want) if the Dualshock controller is selected with Mednafen. That's a bit surprising (and sad), I know. But I think it did the same thing on a real machine? If you were using a Dualshock, then you had to disable its analog feature (I attached a screenshot showing the "Analog" button on/off on a real controller) in order to make it work with some (or all?) older games.

I would love if it worked the way you are describing it though Smile
Mmmh... Or maybe that's how it works with more recent PSX bios? I would need to try that, but maybe it's totally unrelated.

And yes, I hope that the next update will include vibrations too!

Silent Hill was *and still is* a fantastic game. I remember the huge SMACK in my face when I played and finished it for the first time.

• Attachment: analog.jpg
    (Size: 5.56KB, Downloaded 324 time(s))

[Updated on: Fri, 13 July 2012 11:08]

Re: Mednafen 0.9.24-WIP [message #2629 is a reply to message #2625 ] Sat, 14 July 2012 15:16 Go to previous message
sparklewind  [PM]
It seems as if I was mistaken. I tested Final Fantasy VII which only uses digital mode, and it won't respond to any button presses when mednafen is set to dualanalog. If the author or anyone else wants to implement what I described though, LilyPad has it, so you could check out the code and see how it achieves this. Yes, on the real hardware you have to turn off analog mode in order to play games that are not designed for Dual Analog or Dual Shock. I just think it'd be cool if this wasn't a requirement in mednafen because the analog button has no other function, plus it's a nice way of enhancing the experience in the old digital-only games.

I still haven't finished the first Silent Hill game myself (I beat 2 and 3 though). I got stuck at the first boss. But yeah, it's really creepy so far. Razz
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Mednafen 0.9.23-WIP
Next Topic:Mednafen 0.9.25-WIP
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ ]

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 09:31:53 CDT 2024
.:: Contact :: Home ::.