Mednafen Members Members   Search Search   Help Help   Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
Home » Mednafen » Development » Atari Lynx - support for AUDIN switchable ROMs
Show: Today's Messages  :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Atari Lynx - support for AUDIN switchable ROMs [message #2655] Sun, 05 August 2012 07:12 Go to next message
sage  [PM]
Adding support for AUDIN bank switching in ROMs.
Even so AUDIN switchable ROMs exist for a couple of years for the Lynx (FS3, Alpine Games, ..), no support has been written for any emulator yet.

These patches against WIP 9 24 add support for this by using one of the spare/unused bytes in the LNX rom header. The actual switching is done by checking on every cart read the state of the AUDIN bit and flag.

Remark: Writing is (even so electrical impossible) still working in the same wrong-implemented way as it was before.

Please see also the discussion on http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/195440-audin-reality-and-emulators

• Attachment: system.h.diff
    (Size: 0.81KB, Downloaded 247 time(s))

• Attachment: cart.h.diff
    (Size: 1.20KB, Downloaded 263 time(s))

• Attachment: mikie.h.diff
    (Size: 0.45KB, Downloaded 264 time(s))

• Attachment: susie.cpp.diff
    (Size: 1.37KB, Downloaded 246 time(s))

• Attachment: cart.cpp.diff
    (Size: 4.23KB, Downloaded 249 time(s))

Re: Atari Lynx - support for AUDIN switchable ROMs [message #2688 is a reply to message #2655 ] Sat, 29 September 2012 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
Could you alter the code to get rid of of the *_CARTB*A functions you added, and pass "mSystem.mMikie->SwitchAudInValue()" as an arg to the existing cart Peek and Poke functions? And remove CartGetAudin() too. And change mCartBank0 and mCartBank1 to arrays, index into them with the argument. You can just duplicate the [0] into the [1] or something when loading the ROM image in the case of AUDIN bank switching being disabled.

I could do these things myself, but I'm occupied with other parts of Mednafen at the moment, and don't have access to any relevant test cases(ROM images).
Re: Atari Lynx - support for AUDIN switchable ROMs [message #2690 is a reply to message #2688 ] Tue, 02 October 2012 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sage  [PM]
Administrator wrote on Sat, 29 September 2012 23:14

Could you alter the code to get rid of of the *_CARTB*A functions you added, and pass "mSystem.mMikie->SwitchAudInValue()" as an arg to the existing cart Peek and Poke functions? And remove CartGetAudin() too. And change mCartBank0 and mCartBank1 to arrays, index into them with the argument. You can just duplicate the [0] into the [1] or something when loading the ROM image in the case of AUDIN bank switching being disabled.

I did not want to change the (in my opinion bad) implementation of the ROM access.
It might be even more useful to have _all_ bank indexed, as then a simple lut can be used for any combination of access types.

and don't have access to any relevant test cases(ROM images).

well, there are only two "commercial" games which use it, and their ROMs are not available for download and (at least one) have a check against emulation Smile

I can create some ROMs if you want.

http://lynxdev.atari.org
Re: Atari Lynx - support for AUDIN switchable ROMs [message #2746 is a reply to message #2690 ] Thu, 01 November 2012 16:56 Go to previous message
sage  [PM]

Just an update: I did not forgot to work on it Smile
I made the reuested changes as applicable und useful. Actually teh changes are a bit larger than I though, as also savestates etc would have to be changed.

I can now start testing ROMS, but I would need some help on the savestate stuff.
Which means: ugly work to keep compability Sad

http://lynxdev.atari.org
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:PulseAudio support
Next Topic:PSX Save state error
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ ]

Current Time: Sat May 18 11:17:23 CDT 2024
.:: Contact :: Home ::.