Mednafen Members Members   Search Search   Help Help   Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
Home » Mednafen » General » Help with a screw up?
Show: Today's Messages  :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Help with a screw up? [message #2852] Sat, 12 January 2013 00:01 Go to next message
NoHesitation  [PM]
Hi,

I am relatively new to linux (Ubuntu 12.10), and I built the latest mednafen from source. I didn't like the install directory, so I did a sudo make uninstall, and it seemed to remove the install. I then reinstalled with my chosen directory, and when it completed, and I try to run a game, it says mednafen is not installed, and I should do an apt-get. My suspicion is that it was never completely uninstalled, and I need to remove some more files, but when I do a find on it, I only find 2 empty directories. Can anyone help please? I would like to remove all traces of mednafen, and install again from scratch.
Re: Help with a screw up? [message #2853 is a reply to message #2852 ] Sat, 12 January 2013 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
What was your chosen directory?
Re: Help with a screw up? [message #2864 is a reply to message #2853 ] Mon, 14 January 2013 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NoHesitation  [PM]
Sorry for the delay, I installed it to /usr/games/bin

I actually figured this issue out already, but I seem to have run into another one, when launching from XBMC, does this terminal output mean anything to you? Mednafen runs fine for me when not launched from XBMC, but seems to crash or something when it is launched from XBMC. I basically get a black screen that I can never recover from without a hard reboot. Here is teh terminal output:

http://pastebin.com/0X4yPDR2
Re: Help with a screw up? [message #2865 is a reply to message #2852 ] Tue, 15 January 2013 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
Why are you using the "SDL" audio driver?

Try running Mednafen in windowed(non-fullscreen) through XBMC, and see if it's your system locking up or just Mednafen.

[Updated on: Tue, 15 January 2013 07:54]

Re: Help with a screw up? [message #2866 is a reply to message #2865 ] Tue, 15 January 2013 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NoHesitation  [PM]
I am using sdl because it was suggested on the web as a driver to change to if sound was not working from an hdmi displayport. Running in windowed mode gives the same issue, except that this time, I can see the window, which loads up black, and does not respond to anything. Even killing it through the terminal doesn't seem to get it to close. It does push XBMC to windowed mode though, and if I minimize mednafen, refocus on XBMC, and attempt to exit XBMC, the machine completely freezes.
Re: Help with a screw up? [message #2867 is a reply to message #2852 ] Tue, 15 January 2013 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
Does this happen if you disable sound entirely in Mednafen?

IE:
-sound 0

[Updated on: Tue, 15 January 2013 08:16]

Re: Help with a screw up? [message #2868 is a reply to message #2867 ] Tue, 15 January 2013 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NoHesitation  [PM]
It does not have an issue with sound disabled! So, then my next question is, how would I get sound to work, since the defaults setting does not output it correctly? Is there a different driver I should use, or a different method?
Re: Help with a screw up? [message #2869 is a reply to message #2852 ] Tue, 15 January 2013 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
It's probably a PulseAudio bug, and that's outside the scope of fixing in Mednafen.

You could try something like:

pasuspender -- mednafen -sound 1 -sound.driver alsa -sound.device XXX SuperPlumberTurtles.nes

where "XXX" is the name of the ALSA audio device corresponding to HDMI output.

Could you paste the contents of file: /proc/asound/devices
?

[Updated on: Tue, 15 January 2013 09:09]

Re: Help with a screw up? [message #2870 is a reply to message #2869 ] Tue, 15 January 2013 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NoHesitation  [PM]
Since I am at work right now, and cannot try this right away, will it no longer be suspended once mednafen is closed? Just want to check, since once mednafen closes, I would be back in XBMC, and would want sound to operate as usual.
Re: Help with a screw up? [message #2871 is a reply to message #2870 ] Tue, 15 January 2013 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NoHesitation  [PM]
1: : sequencer
2: [ 0- 8]: digital audio playback
3: [ 0- 7]: digital audio playback
4: [ 0- 3]: digital audio playback
5: [ 0- 2]: digital audio playback
6: [ 0- 1]: digital audio playback
7: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
8: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
9: [ 0- 3]: hardware dependent
10: [ 0- 2]: hardware dependent
11: [ 0] : control
33: : timer
Re: Help with a screw up? [message #2872 is a reply to message #2852 ] Tue, 15 January 2013 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NoHesitation  [PM]
FYI, I got it working with alsa as the driver, an sound.device set to hw:0,8 launching from the terminal, but when I try to launch from xbmc, I get an error on the audio saying that the device is busy... If I try to load in full screen, it works just fine, but with no sound. Is this likely an XBMC bug? It is not releasing the device perhaps?

[Updated on: Tue, 15 January 2013 22:47]

Re: Help with a screw up? [message #2875 is a reply to message #2852 ] Wed, 16 January 2013 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
Possibly?

It'd probably make more sense to ask this on an XBMC support forum, as I'm not familiar with how it operates.
Re: Help with a screw up? [message #2876 is a reply to message #2875 ] Wed, 16 January 2013 23:33 Go to previous message
NoHesitation  [PM]
makes sense, thanks again for all the help Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:PSX emulation
Next Topic:Interveiw
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ ]

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 09:54:29 CDT 2024
.:: Contact :: Home ::.