Mednafen Members Members   Search Search   Help Help   Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
Home » Mednafen » Development » Problems running fullscreen on a Mac
Show: Today's Messages  :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Problems running fullscreen on a Mac [message #2904] Thu, 24 January 2013 21:28 Go to next message
rigues  [PM]
Hi Folks,

I'm building my own Media Center (based on an old Core 2 Duo Mac Mini running OS X 10.7 and XBMC) and trying out Mednafen as one of the components, alongside Rom Collection Browser. This is a 32-Bit Mac, so I downloaded the 0.9.28-WIP sources from Weedy Weed's post and compiled a new binary myself.

Mednafen works fine on windowed mode, but now matter what I try, I can't get it to run on fullscreen (1280 x 768 pixels on a LCD TV). All I get is a SDL error message saying "No video mode large enough for 1280x768". Any ideas on what may be wrong and how can I fix it? To make sure this wasn't a problem in my build, I downloaded an old 32-Bit 0.9.22-WIP build from here, and ran into the same issue.

Regards,
Re: Problems running fullscreen on a Mac [message #2906 is a reply to message #2904 ] Fri, 25 January 2013 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lordmaliss  [PM]
First of all, core2duos are 64bit, and the OS is 64 bit(there's no 32 and 64bit versions of OS 10.7, just the one). So *download the 64bit version and give it a shot.*

Are you using an adapter or a direct HDMI output from your mini?

I've seen that problem happen if the display's native resolution can't be detected by your mac, though I'm not sure why that'd be happening. Still, in your nekolauncher preferences I'd *manually set the resolution for fullscreen mode for the given emulator(i.e. for SNES set fullscreen res to 1280x720)* and see if that fixes it.

Those're my only suggestions. Good luck!
Re: Problems running fullscreen on a Mac [message #2907 is a reply to message #2906 ] Fri, 25 January 2013 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rigues  [PM]
lordmaliss wrote on Fri, 25 January 2013 22:14

First of all, core2duos are 64bit, and the OS is 64 bit(there's no 32 and 64bit versions of OS 10.7, just the one). So *download the 64bit version and give it a shot.*

Tried that, didn't work. NekoLauncher complains about "Error 11", because the included mednafen binary crashes immediately upon startup. The system is running a "32-Bit kernel and extensions", as reported by the System Information Utility (the Mini is a 2007 model on OS X 10.7, 10.8 is not supported). That's why I did my own build.

As for the video output, I'm using a DVI -> VGA adapter. My Mini does not have a HDMI port, the TV has a VGA input, and I had a spare adapter at hand. I tried to manually input the fullscreen resolution on NekoLauncher (the Mac is running at 1280 x 768), but it didn't work. I AM running the Mini at a non-native resolution (native is 1920 x 1080), will try it at native and report the results.

Thanks,
Re: Problems running fullscreen on a Mac [message #2909 is a reply to message #2907 ] Mon, 28 January 2013 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lordmaliss  [PM]
Wow, i didn't even know that the 32-bit kernel was still supported in 10.7. My bad! Sorry.

Alright, so it could be there's some library component that mednafen requires the 64bit kernel, that just won't work in 32-bit— or for whatever reason it only supports the 64-bit version. I'll find a computer in 32-bit kernel mode, compile, and see if I can replicate your problem.

Your computer doesn't support manually switching to the 64bit kernel, so if that's the problem, I'm sorry to say nekolauncher mednafen probably won't work on your computer. I'll report back when I've had a chance to try that out(I only have a 10.8 machine at the moment, but as soon as I have access to a 10.7 machine I'll give it a whirl).

**Btw, if you have another mac that supports both you can try this yourself. Force it to boot into 32bit kernel by holding down 3 and 2 while booting up, or 64-bit mode while holding down 6 and 4. Will only work for 10.6 & 10.7

EDIT: SO, I compiled on a friend's computer (2010 iMac that I booted in 32-bit mode, ran weedy weed smoker's compile archive). Same trouble you have. But in 64-bit mode it works fine... So it just might not be possible to run the app in a 32-bit kernel. If anyone out there is having luck with nekolauncher mednafen in 32-bit OS 10.7 reply, but from what I can tell, it's a no go.

Sorry Sad Wish I could've been more help.

[Updated on: Tue, 29 January 2013 13:08]

Re: Problems running fullscreen on a Mac [message #2916 is a reply to message #2909 ] Wed, 30 January 2013 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rigues  [PM]
Yeah, Mednafen run fine at fullscreen on my MB Air (Mid-2011, OS X 10.8, 64-Bit), but always fails at fullscreen startup on the Mini, even running the display at native res (1920x1080). I CAN run it on a Window, but this is not what I want for a Media Center.

There may be something wrong with the SDL Initialization code, maybe it assumes something that is not true on a 32-bit system. Sadly, I do not have the necessary expertise to investigate and fix it anymore. I wrote my last lines of code (an emulator on DOS!) almost 12 years ago! Razz

I'm ALMOST tempted to install a 32-Bit Linux distro on an old PC and run Mednafen at fullscreen to see what happens. However, I'm out of old PCs and time at the moment. I will report the results if I try/find anything new.

Thanks for the help, lordmaliss. If anyone has any other ideas, I'm all ears. Smile
Re: Problems running fullscreen on a Mac [message #2918 is a reply to message #2916 ] Wed, 30 January 2013 22:36 Go to previous message
lordmaliss  [PM]
I know this is a cheat, but what about mucking about with the overscan? Run it in a window, 4x4, then adjust your overscan so that the top and bottom are clipped?

On my HDTV, if I change the picture from "Just scan" to a different aspect ratio or zoom I can easily clip portions of my mac's screen— there are features for overscan/underscan on your computer and there're usually features for overscan on your HDTV.

Then you could run it in a "window" but it'd look full screen at the push of a button on your remote. Just a thought.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Virtual Boy Right/Left only view
Next Topic:neGcon support
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ ]

Current Time: Sat May 18 12:16:28 CDT 2024
.:: Contact :: Home ::.