Mednafen Members Members   Search Search   Help Help   Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
Home » Mednafen » Development » Atari Lynx Stereo support
Show: Today's Messages  :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Atari Lynx Stereo support [message #2998] Thu, 14 March 2013 09:41 Go to next message
sage  [PM]
Even so there are only few games supporting Stereo output on the Lynx (model 2), I added support for the corresponding registers as well as output.

See attached file for patches against to 9.28wip

I tested with Xenophobe and Klax as well as some private test ROMs setting these registers.

ADD:
After testing some more ROMs, it turned out, the ATT register does not need to be inverted... the name is misleading.
I fixed that and replaced the diffs.

Check now with:
Battle Wheels, Dirty Larry, Klax, Lemmings, RoadBlasters, Robo-Squash, Robotron 2084, Xenophobe, Remnant, Sokomania and Slideshows ... which support either stereo or attenuation
plus i check a lot of the roms which dont if there sound still works, too.

[Updated on: Thu, 14 March 2013 22:26]

http://lynxdev.atari.org
Re: Atari Lynx Stereo support [message #3280 is a reply to message #2998 ] Sun, 15 December 2013 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sage  [PM]
Now the code has been adopted to latest WIP version. Thnak you.

nevertheless, I found some deviations from hardware:
Its only a small difference, but anyway.

--- mednafen/src/lynx/mikie.cpp
+++ mednafen-0.9.31/src/lynx/mikie.cpp
@@ -1795,24 +1795,24 @@
                                 teatime >>= 2;
                                 for(x = 0; x < 4; x++){
                                    /// Assumption (seems there is no documentation for the Attenuation registers)
-                                   /// a) they are linear from $0 to $f
-                                   /// b) an attenuation of $0 is equal to channel OFF (bits in mSTEREO not set)
-                                   /// c) an attenuation of $f is equal to no attenuation (bits in PAN not set)
-                                   /// These assumptions can only checked with an oszilloscope...
+                                   /// a) they are linear from $0 to $f - checked!
+                                   /// b) an attenuation of $0 is equal to channel OFF (bits in mSTEREO not set) - checked!
+                                   /// c) an attenuation of $f is NOT equal to no attenuation (bits in PAN not set), $10 would be - checked!
+                                   /// These assumptions can only checked with an oszilloscope... - done
                                    /// the values stored in mSTEREO are bit-inverted ...
                                    /// mSTEREO was found to be set like that already (why?), but unused
-               
+
                                  if(mSTEREO & (0x10 << x))
                                  {
                                     if(mPAN & (0x10 << x))
-                                      cur_lsample += (mAUDIO_OUTPUT[x]*(mAUDIO_ATTEN[x]&0xF0))/(15*16);
+                                      cur_lsample += (mAUDIO_OUTPUT[x]*(mAUDIO_ATTEN[x]&0xF0))/(16*16); /// NOT /15*16 see remark above
                                     else
                                       cur_lsample += mAUDIO_OUTPUT[x];
                                  }
                                  if(mSTEREO & (0x01 << x))
                                  {
                                     if(mPAN & (0x01 << x))
-                                      cur_rsample += (mAUDIO_OUTPUT[x]*(mAUDIO_ATTEN[x]&0x0F))/15;
+                                      cur_rsample += (mAUDIO_OUTPUT[x]*(mAUDIO_ATTEN[x]&0x0F))/16; /// NOT /15 see remark above
                                     else
                                       cur_rsample += mAUDIO_OUTPUT[x];
                                  }

Re: Atari Lynx Stereo support [message #3581 is a reply to message #2998 ] Sat, 28 June 2014 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sage  [PM]
Bump.

Seems the latest fixes did not make it into mednafen (checked 0.9.36).

Re: Atari Lynx Stereo support [message #3582 is a reply to message #2998 ] Sat, 28 June 2014 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
I forgot about it, it'll be in 0.9.37 or 0.9.36.3.

[Updated on: Sat, 28 June 2014 09:29]

Re: Atari Lynx Stereo support [message #3697 is a reply to message #2998 ] Thu, 11 September 2014 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
I included the fixes in 0.9.36.4.
Re: Atari Lynx Stereo support [message #3714 is a reply to message #3697 ] Sun, 21 September 2014 06:55 Go to previous message
sage  [PM]
Administrator wrote on Thu, 11 September 2014 12:56

I included the fixes in 0.9.36.4.

Thank you.
Maybe now I can make a new attempt with the extended ROM access stuff or rewriting the messed up sound code Smile)

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:System (or game) specific .CFG
Next Topic:For Developers of Mednafen from Solyanka-Team
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ ]

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 23:14:16 CDT 2024
.:: Contact :: Home ::.