Mednafen Members Members   Search Search   Help Help   Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
Home » Mednafen » Development » Idea for GB/GBA link cable emulation
Show: Today's Messages  :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Idea for GB/GBA link cable emulation [message #3030] Tue, 16 April 2013 16:58
tomwg123  [PM]
I recently tried several emulators for GB and GBA that support the link cable and none seem to work hardly at all over the internet. I got thinking of a way Mednafen could maybe be the first emulator to support this well over the internet. I'm curious on feedback.

Basically my idea is to add link cable emulation and keep all the related cable data local. The only data sent over the internet would be input button data, like with current netplay. This would require every instance of Mednafen to emulate as many systems as are involved with the link cable (ex: 2-4). One of them would be owned by the local Mednafen and be visible, others could be hidden. Each set of emulation instances would be identical to others and synced on initialization.

Is this realistic? The synchronizing emulation state among multiple PC's is something I'm not clear on. Is it as simple as setting all memory and hardware state to be identical for each emulator and making sure each emulator gets the exact same set of input button data with precise timing? Kind of amazes me thinking how each emulator would then come up with the same pseudo random numbers.

Hoping this concept might inspire some ehancements. Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:[Feature request] Symbolic debugging?
Next Topic:Mednafen 0.9.28-WIP binaries for Mac
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ ]

Current Time: Sat May 18 13:15:18 CDT 2024
.:: Contact :: Home ::.