Mednafen Members Members   Search Search   Help Help   Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
Home » Mednafen » Development » Mednaffe
Show: Today's Messages  :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon2.gif  Mednaffe [message #3164] Fri, 30 August 2013 06:51 Go to next message
AmatCoder  [PM]
Mednaffe has been rewritten from scratch in C language and licence changed to GPLv3. The only dependency (on Linux) is GTK3.

Project page is here: https://github.com/AmatCoder/mednaffe

Latest release is here.

[Updated on: Wed, 27 January 2021 22:55]

Re: Mednaffe 0.4 [message #3165 is a reply to message #3164 ] Fri, 30 August 2013 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
idyll  [PM]
Thank you for releasing an open source, cross platform GUI. This is something Mednafen needs to be accepted by users that fear the command line. I'll be testing this out on Mac and I'll let you know how it goes. Smile
Re: Mednaffe 0.4 [message #3167 is a reply to message #3165 ] Sat, 31 August 2013 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AmatCoder  [PM]
idyll

I'll be testing this out on Mac and I'll let you know how it goes. Smile

Great, thanks! Smile
Re: Mednaffe 0.4 [message #3169 is a reply to message #3164 ] Sat, 31 August 2013 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hatsuyuki  [PM]
There are no Windows builds, aren't there? I doubt that users who need a GUI will build it by themselves.
Re: Mednaffe [message #3170 is a reply to message #3169 ] Sat, 31 August 2013 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AmatCoder  [PM]
I'm still thinking about how to distribute for Windows...

[Updated on: Fri, 24 July 2015 10:39]

Re: Mednaffe 0.4 [message #3198 is a reply to message #3164 ] Sun, 15 September 2013 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
idyll  [PM]
Using Mednaffe on a Mac is not as easy as I had hoped. Installing the GTK framework on a Mac requires a build process. It's not a simple drag and drop solution like the SDL framework. Bundling the GTK framework within a Mednaffe app bundle is a possibility, but it's not straight forward. Creating a binary for other Mac users to run/install with ease would be problematic.

Anyway, you've provided a great starting point for anyone wishing to create a Mednafen GUI. Thank you.

[Updated on: Sun, 15 September 2013 13:51]

Re: Mednaffe [message #3200 is a reply to message #3198 ] Mon, 16 September 2013 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AmatCoder  [PM]
Yes, there does not seem to be easy... Maybe someday I can have access to a Mac and try it myself.

I appreciate your effort anyway, thanks!
Re: Mednaffe [message #3201 is a reply to message #3164 ] Mon, 16 September 2013 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AmatCoder  [PM]
Mednaffe 0.5 has been released with the following changes:

- Support for 0.9.31/32-WIP added.
 - Added an option to search files recursively. (Thanks to Shoegazer for the suggestion)
 - Improve performance when filling list (x20 speed up).
 - List options (filters, sort direction) are saved now.
 - Fix 'Open' buttons signals on Windows.
 - Now Mednaffe restore after minimize on Windows.
 - Fix Windows icon (hopefully)

Regards.
Re: Mednaffe [message #3208 is a reply to message #3201 ] Thu, 03 October 2013 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
StarrySky  [PM]
What are the GTK dependencies for Mednaffe to run and start games in Windows?

So far I discovered it needs:

libgdk-win32-2.0-0.dll
libcairo-2.dll
libfontconfig-1.dll
libexpat-1.dll
freetype6.dll
libpng14-14.dll
libgdk_pixbuf-2.0-0.dll
intl.dll
libgio-2.0-0.dll
libglib-2.0-0.dll
libgmodule-2.0-0.dll
libgobject-2.0-0.dll
libgthread-2.0-0.dll
libpango-1.0-0.dll
libpangocairo-1.0-0.dll
libpangoft2-1.0-0.dll
libpangowin32-1.0-0.dll
libgtk-win32-2.0-0.dll
libatk-1.0-0.dll
gspawn-win32-helper.exe

Also it requires a mednafen-09x.cfg file.
Anything else required for additional features or unseen reasons?
Re: Mednaffe [message #3209 is a reply to message #3208 ] Fri, 04 October 2013 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AmatCoder  [PM]
Speaking from memory (my Windows partition is broken) it also needs zlib1.dll.

A mednafen-09x.cfg file is not required, Mednaffe creates one if not found.
Quote:

Anything else required for additional features or unseen reasons?

To run mednaffe nothing more is required but you lose native Windows theme...what are you trying to do?
Re: Mednaffe [message #3210 is a reply to message #3209 ] Fri, 04 October 2013 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
StarrySky  [PM]
Right. zlib1.dll is included with mednafen iteslf, so I probably overlooked that one. I put all the required pieces into the same directory to make a portable version. You can download the whole package here:
http://portableapps.com/node/38273
I'll also upload it here on the forum, it's a self extracting archive. Only the Mednaffe folder inside MednaffePortable\App\ is actually required, the rest is butter to make it work with the portable apps platform.
Mednafen is awesome. Thank you for making an open source, cross platform gui with so few dependencies.

Re: Mednaffe [message #3211 is a reply to message #3210 ] Sun, 06 October 2013 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AmatCoder  [PM]
Ah, cool...

Speaking about portability:
Before I broke my Windows partition, I had managed a static build of Mednaffe.

This means a standalone executable (without dependencies) with a size of 2.9 MB. Maybe someday it will be (unofficially) released...
Re: Mednaffe [message #3212 is a reply to message #3164 ] Sun, 06 October 2013 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
StarrySky  [PM]
very cool. i hope you get your partition fixed. Those windoze partitions can be finicky, especially with UEFI.
Re: Mednaffe [message #3276 is a reply to message #3164 ] Tue, 10 December 2013 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AmatCoder  [PM]
Mednaffe 0.6 is released with the following changes:
- A message error is showed when mednafen gives an error.
- Descriptive error messages via '-remote' option (Only on Linux).
- Gui options have been moved to Edit->Preferences menu.
- Now you can choose which systems are showed. (Thanks to Shinra for the suggestion)
- Now Mednaffe can resize down to 768x516. (Thanks to StarrySky for report it)
- Added an option to remember window size.
- Add support to filter ccd files from CloneCd images.
- Add a desktop file and icons to install on Linux.
- Some minor fixes.

Note: This version drops support for 0.9.2x versions of mednafen.

Regards.
Re: Mednaffe [message #3277 is a reply to message #3164 ] Tue, 10 December 2013 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
StarrySky  [PM]
Nice! Thanks for the update. I can't wait to try it out.
Re: Mednaffe [message #3279 is a reply to message #3164 ] Sat, 14 December 2013 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AmatCoder  [PM]
If somebody is using Mednaffe on Linux, you must re-download 0.6 version to fix a bug that freezes Psx games. Embarassed
Windows version is not affected

Sorry for any inconvenience.
Re: Mednaffe [message #3286 is a reply to message #3164 ] Fri, 20 December 2013 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AnotherLife  [PM]
Took some juggling of various GTK+ versions but it finally works, I will be using it from now on, thanks Razz
Re: Mednaffe [message #3432 is a reply to message #3286 ] Wed, 30 April 2014 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
geoslake  [PM]
Hi, just discovered this frontend, which finaly doesn't require M$ net stuff and works great !!
Thanks for that, i wonder, could you add screenshot support ?

Thanks
Re: Mednaffe [message #3952 is a reply to message #3164 ] Fri, 20 March 2015 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
StarrySky  [PM]
It looks like this got moved to GitHub:
https://github.com/AmatCoder/mednaffe

I hope development continues on this great frontend.
Re: Mednaffe [message #3963 is a reply to message #3952 ] Fri, 03 April 2015 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AmatCoder  [PM]
Yes, it was moved because Google Code will be shutting down.

Last year development was slowly but I expect to release a new version in the next few days.
Re: Mednaffe [message #4015 is a reply to message #3164 ] Sat, 02 May 2015 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AmatCoder  [PM]
Mednaffe 0.7 is released with the following changes:
- Controller setup for systems (keyboard and gamepads)
- Static build for Windows (standalone executable to avoid GTK+ runtime dependency)
- Descriptive error messages on Windows.
- Added new settings until 0.9.36
- Mednafen version is detected properly now on Linux.
- Fixed freezing while executing emulator under some conditions on Linux.
- Fix to handle spaces in paths on Windows.
- Spins disregarding values fixed.
- More minor fixes.

Note: This version will need 0.9.36 or higher versions of mednafen emulator.

Note2: Since this version you do not need the GTK+ runtime for Windows. Just extract executable into the folder where mednafen emulator is.

Regards.
Re: Mednaffe [message #4022 is a reply to message #3164 ] Mon, 04 May 2015 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xenomorph  [PM]
Hi, this latest version seems to hang at startup.

This is all strace gives:

access("/usr/local/bin/mednafen", X_OK) = 0
getuid()                                = 1006
stat("/usr/local/bin/mednafen", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0755, st_size=105, ...}) = 0
pipe2([5, 6], 0)                        = 0
pipe2([7, 8], 0)                        = 0
clone(child_stack=0, flags=CLONE_CHILD_CLEARTID|CLONE_CHILD_SETTID|SIGCHLD, child_tidptr=0x7f05275b2c50) = 4992
close(6)                                = 0
close(8)                                = 0
read(5, "", 8)                          = 0
close(5)                                = 0
select(8, [7], NULL, NULL, NULL)        = 1 (in [7])
read(7, "Starting Mednafen 0.9.38.4\n Buil"..., 4096) = 276
read(7, " Internal emulation modules: nes"..., 4096) = 107
read(7, " External emulation modules: \n", 4096) = 30
read(7, " Loading settings from \"/home/er"..., 4096) = 66
read(7, "  Loaded 2982 valid settings and"..., 4096) = 53
read(7, "No command-line arguments specif"..., 4096) = 146
select(8, [7], NULL, NULL, NULL)        = ? ERESTARTNOHAND (To be restarted if no handler)
--- SIGCHLD {si_signo=SIGCHLD, si_code=CLD_EXITED, si_pid=4992, si_uid=1006, si_status=0, si_utime=0, si_stime=0} ---
select(8, [7], NULL, NULL, NULL

Once it gave a message about wrong mednafen version, but then it just hangs. I have the latest mednafen.
Re: Mednaffe [message #4023 is a reply to message #4022 ] Mon, 04 May 2015 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AmatCoder  [PM]
Hmm, it seems that you have a weird mednafen binary...As you can see:
Quote:

stat("/usr/local/bin/mednafen", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0755, st_size=105, ...}) = 0

stat reports that mednafen is a regular file (not a symlink) but its size is 105 bytes Confused

Here, mine (0.9.38.4) is:
Quote:

stat("/usr/bin/mednafen", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0755, st_size=10307616, ...}) = 0

10307616 bytes is the correct size of binary.
Re: Mednaffe [message #4024 is a reply to message #4023 ] Mon, 04 May 2015 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xenomorph  [PM]
Oh, right. It's a wrapper script to disable the screensaver. Sorry for that. Maybe the binary detection could be optional or the executable name could be configured?

Since I'm here, I'd like to make a request: the option to use pce_fast instead of pce when configuring a system and running games. Anyway, thanks!

[Updated on: Mon, 04 May 2015 18:47]

icon10.gif  Re: Mednaffe [message #4025 is a reply to message #3164 ] Mon, 04 May 2015 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
calcface  [PM]
It's great to see mednaffe updated again Surprised , I specially like that you can now do the controller setup from it.

One of the new config options that was added recently to mednafen was: video.disable_composition
I think it only affects windows users but I was hoping that it was added to mednaffe as well. Maybe it can be added in a future version.

Thanks a lot for your great work.
Re: Mednaffe [message #4028 is a reply to message #4024 ] Wed, 06 May 2015 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AmatCoder  [PM]
Xenomorph wrote on Mon, 04 May 2015 18:45

Oh, right. It's a wrapper script to disable the screensaver. Sorry for that. Maybe the binary detection could be optional or the executable name could be configured?

Both are possible but the former is preferred to the latter.
But also wrapper should be working. Show me the script to see what happens with it.

Xenomorph wrote on Mon, 04 May 2015 18:45

Since I'm here, I'd like to make a request: the option to use pce_fast instead of pce when configuring a system and running games. Anyway, thanks!

pce_fast is not used with Mednaffe because documentation says that it is an experimental alternative to the pce emulation and I read once that it is designed for CPU-constrained systems (as far as I understand it: ARM and such).
Mednaffe is not available is those systems so pce_fast option is less useful. But I will ask on IRC about this.
Re: Mednaffe [message #4029 is a reply to message #4025 ] Wed, 06 May 2015 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AmatCoder  [PM]
calcface wrote on Mon, 04 May 2015 19:08

One of the new config options that was added recently to mednafen was: video.disable_composition
I think it only affects windows users but I was hoping that it was added to mednaffe as well. Maybe it can be added in a future version.

Sure, no problem. Smile

Regards.
Re: Mednaffe [message #4114 is a reply to message #3164 ] Fri, 24 July 2015 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AmatCoder  [PM]
Mednaffe 0.8 is released with the following changes:
- [Windows] Support for XInput devices.
- Support for key assignments to (some) mednafen functions.
- Added deadzones for analog axis (Thanks to tapcio for report it).
- New tab with text widgets in order to read logs.
- Added the ability to select an mednafen executable if it is not found in path.
- [Windows] 'video.disable_composition' option added.
- [Windows] Missing sound driver options added.
- [Linux] Rewrite the error handling process.
- [Linux] Fix (mostly) deprecated functions.
- Better alingment between widgets.
- Minor cosmetic changes.

Regards.
Re: Mednaffe [message #4117 is a reply to message #3164 ] Sun, 26 July 2015 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AmatCoder  [PM]
If you are using Mednaffe on Windows, please redownload from here

I fixed a bug that does not allow to some XInput devices be properly detected.
Re: Mednaffe [message #4123 is a reply to message #3164 ] Thu, 30 July 2015 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vaporeon  [PM]
I really appreciate this front-end and find it useful so thank you. However can you please not do silent updates.
Re: Mednaffe [message #4322 is a reply to message #3164 ] Sun, 21 February 2016 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AmatCoder  [PM]
Mednaffe 0.8.1 has been released with the following changes:
 - [Windows] Fix xbox 360 controller detection on some conditions. 

Re: Mednaffe [message #4386 is a reply to message #3164 ] Sat, 18 June 2016 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
metalslayer  [PM]
AmatCoder, please, create that options in Mednaffe.
It would be super сomfortable option if you shall do that.
"PSX"

"MD"

"SNES"
Re: Mednaffe [message #4419 is a reply to message #3164 ] Sun, 07 August 2016 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AmatCoder  [PM]
A test version for last mednafen (0.9.39-UNSTABLE) adding support for Sega Saturn is uploaded here.

Re: Mednaffe [message #4565 is a reply to message #4419 ] Tue, 04 October 2016 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
polo68  [PM]
Hi,

Adding support Per System Config in mednafen is possible?
Now when i change settings in mednaffe, it adds code to the file mednaffe.ini. Why not instead use nes.cfg, md.cfg etc...
Re: Mednaffe [message #4685 is a reply to message #3164 ] Sat, 19 November 2016 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AmatCoder  [PM]
Mednaffe 0.8.3 has been released with the following changes:

- Added support for Sega Saturn (It needs 0.9.39.1 or higher of mednafen emulator).
- [Linux] Fix stack smashing when compiling with '-fstack-protector' caused by
  buffer overflow (Thanks to 'not-a-user' for report it).

Re: Mednaffe [message #4774 is a reply to message #3164 ] Sat, 21 January 2017 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AmatCoder  [PM]
Mednaffe 0.8.4 has been released with the following changes:

• Added support for new settings added by mednafen 0.9.41 (Obviously, it needs this version or higher to work).
Re: Mednaffe [message #4832 is a reply to message #3164 ] Mon, 13 February 2017 20:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AmatCoder  [PM]
Mednaffe 0.8.5 has been released with the following changes:

• Check properly version of mednafen emulator (It fails when used spanish locale on Linux).
  • Fixed Saturn bios setup.
  • Add expansion cart option for Saturn.
Re: Mednaffe [message #5090 is a reply to message #3164 ] Sun, 30 July 2017 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AmatCoder  [PM]
Mednaffe 0.8.6 is released with the following changes:
  • Add checks to avoid access array out of bounds (It cause a segfault when configuring some keys)

Re: Mednaffe [message #5488 is a reply to message #3164 ] Sun, 25 March 2018 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AmatCoder  [PM]
Mednaffe 0.8.7 is released with the following changes:
  • Update to work with 1.xx.x versions of mednafen emulator. (This release drops support for 0.9.xx versions).
  • Now Pce GE CD bios can be setted (Thanks to Pcegames for reporting).
  • Honor environment CFLAGS in configure script (Thanks to akien-mga for patch).
  • Support compilation under *BSD OS'es. (Thanks to PaddyMac for report and testing).

Re: Mednaffe [message #5519 is a reply to message #3164 ] Tue, 01 May 2018 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
AmatCoder  [PM]
Mednaffe 0.8.8 is released with the following changes:
  • [Windows] Fixed left trigger not working using XInput controllers (Thanks to Pcegames for report and testing).
  • [Windows] Fix to accept up/right D-Pad inputs in controller setup on some conditions (Thanks to SatoXa for report and testing).
  • [Linux] Use the 'MEDNAFEN_HOME' environment variable when it is set (Patch by denisfa).
  • Some minor fixes.

Pages (2): [1  2    »]  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Crash after building with msys2 mingw64 on windows x64
Next Topic:How to compile 1.29 on macOS 12.5.1
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ ]

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 21:40:00 CDT 2024
.:: Contact :: Home ::.