Mednafen Members Members   Search Search   Help Help   Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
Home » Mednafen » General » Strange behaviour of color emulation in PSX BIOS
Show: Today's Messages  :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Strange behaviour of color emulation in PSX BIOS [message #3426] Sat, 26 April 2014 20:36 Go to next message
kirkor  [PM]
Hi, I realized strange behaviour of some colors emulation in BIOS of every PSX emulator including Mednafen.

What I did - I used the same copy of BIOS file in three different emulators (ePSXe, Xebra and no$PSX) and opened PlayStation BIOS where you see memory card manager and CD player. Now look at the colors around "memory card" and "CD Player" here: http://i61.tinypic.com/116s1h2.jpg

They are all different. If I used exactly the same BIOS, why Xebra, ePSXe and no$psx emulators show completetly different colors? I just dont understand it. Reseting emulator, deleting BIOS file and configuring it again wont change anything so it means these color are not changeable after different tries. What you see is final for every of these emulators.

After few days I compared it with Mednafen (sorry there is no picture) and it is also different. It is very strange because Xebra and Mednafen are both very accurate - and during my tests these two emulators are showing all the in-game stuff same, therefore it doesnt make much sense to suspect accuracy here. Just when it comes to these colors in BIOS, all emulators I compared show it differently.

Is there any explanaton for this? Which of these emulators is "right"?

[Updated on: Sat, 26 April 2014 20:39]

Re: Strange behaviour of color emulation in PSX BIOS [message #3428 is a reply to message #3426 ] Sun, 27 April 2014 19:54 Go to previous message
kirkor  [PM]
I think I got correct answer on another forum that says: "That's the intended behavior. Reset a real PS1 a few times and it will have a different color each time. It's a feature, not emulation inaccuracy. Enable full VRAM view and see what happens."

If it is true, then emulator also should emulate this BIOS feature of changing colors. I reseted emulator about ten times and colors stay the same.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:PCE Save states: PCE.EMU (Android), ME, mednafen
Next Topic:Save states
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ ]

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 09:01:12 CDT 2024
.:: Contact :: Home ::.