Mednafen Members Members   Search Search   Help Help   Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
Home » Mednafen » Feature Requests » (Old and Tangled) Feature Requests
Show: Today's Messages  :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
(Old and Tangled) Feature Requests [message #1294] Wed, 09 July 2008 12:00 Go to next message
haikai  [PM]
I've recently discovered that playing through certain games at 1.25x or 1.5x speed suits my schedule much better. Wink

So I hope that Mednafen could change this parameter to express the speed increase as a percentage - from 1% faster up to whatever. Also, what about slow motion?

[Updated on: Sun, 22 January 2017 02:51] by Moderator

Re: Feature Requests [message #1406 is a reply to message #1294 ] Sun, 01 February 2009 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asdert  [PM]
I would like a faster way to configure keys: if I want to setup only one key, why I have to waste a lot of time reconfiguring all? And if during the configuration I press the wrong key... sigh Sad

And.. what about a menu (mame docet) to configure all the emulator setting with capability of save them per Emulator and per Rom?

bye!

PS. Are there some planes to include genesis, snes and neogeo emulation? I would like to have one emulator for all my favorite system Smile Smile Smile ! It's difficult to merge code from project like dgen, zsnes and gngeo ?
Re: Feature Requests [message #1407 is a reply to message #1294 ] Sun, 01 February 2009 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
Genesis, yes.

SNES, no. Not unless someone writes a modular, reasonably fast, GPL-compatible SNES emulator intended to be incorporated into other emulators/"frontends"...and it's not in x86 assembly. ;b

Neo Geo...probably not, but who knows. I have a reasonably-accurate GPL'd 68K emulator(courtesy Stef from Yabause) now for Mednafen, and of course the Z80 emulator from FUSE already used for NGP and SMS emulation.
I don't know if I'd want to write the rest from scratch or assimilate something else. Wink Is gngeo abandoned?

Re: Feature Requests [message #1410 is a reply to message #1407 ] Tue, 03 February 2009 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asdert  [PM]
With 68k and z80 the 90% of work is done! isn't it? you have only to add the sound chip emulation! Right?

However there are also gngeo: I don't know if it is still mantained (last release 8-2006... i don't think so!) but the only code of the project token from the mame is the z80. You can just replace it with your own and have a fully gpl-compatible source... i think... Smile
Re: Feature Requests [message #1411 is a reply to message #1294 ] Tue, 03 February 2009 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AamirM  [PM]
The sound chip Neogeo uses, the YM2610, can be done using Stef's YM2612 emulator with modifications and some additions.
Feature request: sound enable/disable hot key [message #1459 is a reply to message #1294 ] Fri, 03 April 2009 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
procyon  [PM]
Just curious if Mednafen could support a hot key for enabling or disabling sound on the fly. It doesn't have to be a true switch, perhaps it could simply drop the volume to 0 and back even though it might still process audio. Thanks for the excellent software!

Edit: Damn, sorry, missed the stickied Feature Request thread. My apologies. Feel free to fold this thread up to that one.

[Updated on: Fri, 03 April 2009 13:01]

icon2.gif  Question: Adding colour pallets to B&W GameBoy games? [message #1466 is a reply to message #1294 ] Fri, 17 April 2009 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mister-K  [PM]
Hello. Just as the title says, is it possible to add colour to the original grey-scale Gameboy games?

Both the GBC and GBA systems have the ability to add 4-8 additional colours to original GB games (usually 4 colours for the BG layer and 4 for the sprites), and I was wondering if I could do the same in Mednafen?

I haven't been able to find a GameBoy emulator in Linux with this feature. Though I know there are a few in Windows (like VBA) that have it.

Thanks.

[Updated on: Fri, 17 April 2009 21:41]

Temp Feature Request [message #1493 is a reply to message #1294 ] Sat, 30 May 2009 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jellybelly  [PM]
Mednafen is fantastic. Clean, accurate, no cludgy gui. I'm quite happy with it.

There's one thing I'd really like to see, though. I run mednafen on my arcade cabinet using an ArcadeVGA video card. I have all the machines that mednafen emulates set to as close as the real machine's resolution as possible. PCE is problematic though. I can set the resolution to 256 x 240 fullscreen for that and have it look near perfect for most games with no stretching and have a one to one pixel ratio. But that is problematic for the games that don't use 256 x 240. I'd love to see multiple entries for resolution in the PCE section of the configuration, so I can set each of the several resolution modes that the PCE has. Ootake has this and it's pretty much the only thing I like better in that one over Mednafen.

Would be nice.

[Edit: I'm very sorry. I thought I posted this in the feature requests thread.]

[Updated on: Sat, 30 May 2009 23:05]

Re: Feature Requests [message #1495 is a reply to message #1294 ] Sun, 31 May 2009 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
Moved for you.
Re: Feature Requests [message #1597 is a reply to message #1294 ] Mon, 14 December 2009 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheeseboy  [PM]
I request better netplay support. I would love to be able to play nes games with my friends over the internet but the current mednafen-server lags far too much for any game to be playable. Please update it. Ill love you forever if you do Razz
Re: Feature Requests [message #1685 is a reply to message #1294 ] Sat, 17 April 2010 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MK2k  [PM]
First of all, this emulator is just great, many thanks!

I got two little requests:

1st: is it (or could it be) possible to enable the rewind functionality by default maybe by a config file setting? Because currently you actually need two keys for that. When it's enabled you just need one key (the rewind key).

2nd: could it be possible to enhance the mednafen HUD that way, that you can map any possible functionality to a key / joystick via a menu (see how MAME does it for example)? I know you can do this manually via the config file but that is not very user-friendly. For me this applies especially to the rewind key (by default BACKSPACE) that I liked to be mapped to a joystick button, but this could apply to any other functionality too.

Best regards

-- MK2k
IPS, Mednafen Player, other systems [message #1689 is a reply to message #1294 ] Sun, 18 April 2010 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
safaribans  [PM]
Ah yes, the request thread, Smile

--- Music Player ---
Mednafen is primarily an emulator... but it can handle nsf, nsfe, wsr, hes ... gsf (at the time of this writing this seems broken in mednafen 0.9.0 april 11th).

Would you consider adding a parameter that could play the directory of gsf and let one navigate tracks of minigsf with up/down etc and treat it as it does the multi track hes/nsf/nsfe?.

A sad workaround:
for i in *.*gsf; do mednafen "$i"; done

It will play one track, hit escape, launches the next, and so on.

Edit: June 6, 2010
------------------------
This will play all the tunes in the current folder in random order, press Esc to go to next tune.

find . -maxdepth 1 -type f -print0 -iregex '.*\(gsf\|nsf?\|hes\|wsr\)$' | sort -R -z | xargs -0 -L1 mednafen;
-------------------------

--- Add more formats ---
Continue adding support for chip tune formats, particularly those that medanfen supports the system for.

Some possible sources:
http://www.fly.net/~ant/libs/audio.html
Blargg's LGPL'd library with support for AY,GBS,GYM,HES,KSS,NSF, NSFE,SAP,SPC,VGM, and VGZ

New format for SMS/GG/Colecovisio
http://nesdev.parodius.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=5887

--- Soft Patching ---

Edit: June 6, 2010
After messing around with MESS and writing a bash script to launch game depending on which folder it is in, extract the .gz to /tmp, load said file using basename to determine the filename, appending an .ips to said name (if an ips exists) to then use a PERL ips script to soft patch the file in /tmp...

This was made much easier by just suffixing ips.

Request withdrawn.

In fact, all emulators that support soft patching should use your method of just appending ".ips" to the full file name!

--- Continue Adding Systems to Mednafen ---

How about PlayStation Support?
GPL'd
http://pcsx-df.sourceforge.net/

Again, great emulator, hope you liked this over-ambitious request thread post!

[Updated on: Sun, 06 June 2010 21:41]

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
-- Mark Twain
Re: Feature Requests [message #1739 is a reply to message #1294 ] Thu, 27 May 2010 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
funlife81  [PM]
Any plans for Atari Jaguar? Atari 2800, 5200 or 7800? Thanks!

[Updated on: Thu, 27 May 2010 02:01]

Re: Feature Requests [message #1740 is a reply to message #1739 ] Thu, 27 May 2010 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zombie_ryushu  [PM]
Atari 2600 is covered by Stella, Atari 5200 and 7800 are covered by SDLMESS. But Jaguar support is disastrously awful right now.
Re: Feature Requests [message #2038 is a reply to message #1294 ] Thu, 03 February 2011 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mxxmmxxm  [PM]
I'd like to request mid-game controller swapping for netplay mode, if possible. A friend and i have played a number of non-natively-multiplayer SNES games together using ZSNES' netplay, taking turns by hopping back into the interface and alternating who gets controller #1, and we'd love to be able to do this on other systems. (Of which mednafen supports copious amounts)
Re: Feature Requests [message #2064 is a reply to message #1294 ] Mon, 21 February 2011 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akelekeve  [PM]
I don't know if the comand line Mednafen have this features (for true i use MedGui...)
But was good if mednafen have a Fast Forward, and in Virtual Boy, was better if we could select a mode, where only one side to show in screen (and not both)...

Sorry if i said any crap (i'm new here! And english is bad...)
I loved the emulator!
Thanks!
Re: Feature Requests [message #2065 is a reply to message #2064 ] Tue, 22 February 2011 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Speedvicio  [PM]
The fastforward already exist in mednafen, you must press ~ to enable it.

what are you talk for only one side to show in screen?

If you intended parallax, you can enable/disable it by -vb.disable_parallax command line or remove check parallax option in MedGui virtual boy section.
Re: Feature Requests [message #2069 is a reply to message #1294 ] Fri, 25 February 2011 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akelekeve  [PM]
Hmm...
Thank you!
I think that i can use only one of the screens (right eye or left eye) just choosing the view that i don't want to see in black color and the one that i want to see in a different color (and using paralax, of course)
The fast forward is awesome (the best way to gain experience in RPGs, hahaha).

Well, i don't know if this is the right place to put this but...
The MESS code can be ported for mednafen?
If yes, I think that will be awesome if mednafen have some of their systems that works well, like:
Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Atari 7800, Neo-geo, adventurevision, etc.

Even if that is impossible, no problem!
I have to say that mednafen is my favorite emulator now!
I was impressionate with the accuracy plus all the features!!!

Thank you again for the great efforts!
(sorry for the long text and full of english errors)...Razz

EDIT: Will be great some improvements in the systems that exists too, for example:
1).sg support for SG-1000 support!
2)32X support for Mega Drive/Genesis (and the combo Sega CD+32X too)
3)Pico games runs well, but lacks the Preview/NExt Page and mouse support!
10X again!!!

[Updated on: Wed, 16 March 2011 06:10]

Re: Feature Requests [message #2076 is a reply to message #1740 ] Sun, 13 March 2011 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skitt  [PM]
zombie_ryushu wrote on Thu, 27 May 2010 10:02

Atari 2600 is covered by Stella, Atari 5200 and 7800 are covered by SDLMESS. But Jaguar support is disastrously awful right now.

Here's another request for Jaguar support, as well as a thank-you message:

Quote:

Hello

"Mednafen Im lovin it" Thank you that you made this emulator. It is gorgeous emu.

Another wishlist: Could you also emulate the Atari Jaguar please?

Thank you in advance,
Sincerely

(Forwarded from http://bugs.debian.org/618259.)
Re: Feature Requests [message #2081 is a reply to message #1294 ] Wed, 16 March 2011 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akelekeve  [PM]
Jaguar in Mednafen?
Yaaahoooooooo!
Great! Great! Great!
Re: Feature Requests [message #2093 is a reply to message #1294 ] Wed, 30 March 2011 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akelekeve  [PM]
A cool feature, present in emulators like "Kega Fusion"is the ability to find Action Replay/Game Genie codes.
To to that go Game Genie PAR>>Code Finder
In that menu, you can choose the method to find a code in Game genie: Count, Difference, Percent or State.
Find a new code is great, since that leave us enjoy a game in a different way!
Was great if Mednafen have a similar feature!
Thanks!
Re: Feature Requests [message #2094 is a reply to message #2093 ] Thu, 31 March 2011 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
safaribans  [PM]
Mednafen already has this.
http://mednafen.sourceforge.net/documentation/cheat.html

Press alt + c and from there you can add cheats, find cheats, etc.

Press alt + t to toggle cheats on and off.

-- Mark Twain
Feature Request: Slow Down [message #2098 is a reply to message #1294 ] Mon, 04 April 2011 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JBRPG  [PM]
Slowdown would be really nice since I want to be able to take continuous screenshots of sprite animations.

Especially virtual boy Wario Land
Re: Feature Request: Slow Down [message #2102 is a reply to message #2098 ] Wed, 06 April 2011 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
safaribans  [PM]
This feature is already mapped to the \ key.

For screen shots, If you want to go frame by frame.

Press alt + a to advance 1 frame.

Press alt + r to resume.

You can also disable different layers.

http://mednafen.sourceforge.net/documentation/#using-keys

-- Mark Twain
Re: Feature Requests [message #2316 is a reply to message #1294 ] Sat, 03 December 2011 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Elfo  [PM]
I'd like to request the ability to set separate configuration paths for each system, in mednafen.cfg. What I mean is that I would like to be able to direct SNES saves to ~/Games/SNES/Saves, yet when I want to play a Game Boy ROM it automagically goes in ~/Games/GameBoy/Saves. Likewise for Screenshots, etc.

I realize you can do this when launching each system via the command line arguments, but I'd prefer to set it up once and forget it.

Oh, and thanks for the kick-ass [group of] emulator[s].
Re: Feature Requests [message #2339 is a reply to message #1294 ] Fri, 30 December 2011 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mihail  [PM]
It would be great if mednafen allowed to create "perfect" movies. Example of how it may work: when user saves state, mednafen creates kind of checkpoint on movie stream; when user restores state, mednafen moves back to that checkpoint and starts to record movie from it.

I would capture such perfect movies to video format for a long memory.
Re: Feature Requests [message #2354 is a reply to message #1685 ] Fri, 13 January 2012 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eadmaster  [PM]
MK2k wrote on Sat, 17 April 2010 18:37

1st: is it (or could it be) possible to enable the rewind functionality by default maybe by a config file setting? Because currently you actually need two keys for that. When it's enabled you just need one key (the rewind key).

I second this request
+ i'd like to add:
- option to always show FPS
- SMS zoom / output full 16:9 without borders
- Blargg's NTSC filter support for all systems except LCD-based handhelds

[Updated on: Sat, 14 January 2012 09:18]

Re: Feature Requests [message #2605 is a reply to message #1294 ] Thu, 05 July 2012 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seratonin  [PM]
Just curious, is there going to be a Nintendo DS emulation that would later be added to Mednafen?

P.S.
This is honestly the best emulator I have ever used. Keep up the good work! Smile
Re: Feature Requests [message #2647 is a reply to message #1294 ] Sun, 29 July 2012 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leeloo Minaï  [PM]
COuld you add an option to export .MOV videos to user-chosen format ? It could be like this :

qtmovie.xres 320
qtmovie.yres 240

The actual system provides "insane" resolutions (2720x480 for a PS1 game)
Re: Feature Requests [message #2919 is a reply to message #1294 ] Wed, 30 January 2013 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lordmaliss  [PM]
index.php?t=getfile&id=468&private=0

Arbitrary resolutions and texture filtering for PSOne games Very Happy

If that's not feasible maybe you could tell me why here: http://forum.fobby.net/index.php?t=msg&th=875&start=0&

Thank you!

Re: Feature Requests [message #2925 is a reply to message #1294 ] Mon, 04 February 2013 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Poizonous  [PM]
Just registered to also ask for what someone requested back in 2010 and again last year.

Isn't it possible to have a rewind enabled/disabled by default setting? Rather annoying having to toggle it every single time you start Mednafen and sometimes you just forget to, then go to hit your rewind hotkey while playing and realize it's not even on.

It's a nice feature and well implemented, especially for consoles that have alternative and more popular emulators which don't even have this feature at all (Kega Fusion comes to mind), but having to enable it manually everytime you fire up a rom is tiresome.
Re: Feature Requests [message #2927 is a reply to message #2925 ] Tue, 05 February 2013 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Patryn  [PM]
I agree. A "rewind always on by default"-option would be awesome.

Also, if I may ask, are you still working on Sega CD and Sega 32x emulation?
Re: Feature Requests [message #2929 is a reply to message #1294 ] Tue, 05 February 2013 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
Hitting two buttons to enable state rewinding is tedious? Such a setting is not going to be added.

Sega 32X emulation was never seriously being worked on, and SegaCD emulation is not being worked on.

[Updated on: Tue, 05 February 2013 20:40]

Re: Feature Requests [message #2931 is a reply to message #2929 ] Wed, 06 February 2013 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Awakened  [PM]
Aww, I'd love to switch over Sega CD emulation to Mednafen if it ever gets completed. I tried RetroArch with the latest Genesis Plus GX core and the emulation quality of Genesis and Sega CD seemed pretty much flawless, but that emulator has too much input lag for me. For now I'm using Kega Fusion for those two systems, which doesn't go fullscreen as nicely as Mednafen or have a mappable fast forward button, but has better emulation and about the same input latency.
Re: Feature Requests [message #2933 is a reply to message #2927 ] Wed, 06 February 2013 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Poizonous  [PM]
Seriously? Well, I thought it'd be a nice convenience and something simple to add. I'd be willing to bet most people who use Mednafen - especially for Genesis or TurboGrafx 16 - also use rewind. Why not enable it by default and simply make it bindable? I'm not the only one asking for it since it was requested all the way back in 2010 and again recently.

Yes, it is very tedious toggling it every time. I'm running this through Hyperspin and it's the only emulator I can think of in existence that has a nice rewind feature which you have to manually toggle every time. Even emulators as old as Zsnes simply let you bind it if you want to use it. It'd be like Windows 7 making you manually enable Aero everytime you boot up your computer. It's a great fluff feature marred by assuming only a minority use it.

I guess this is a case of thanks anyway for at least reading the request.
Re: Feature Requests [message #2936 is a reply to message #2929 ] Thu, 07 February 2013 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Patryn  [PM]
Administrator wrote on Tue, 05 February 2013 21:39

Hitting two buttons to enable state rewinding is tedious? Such a setting is not going to be added.

Sega 32X emulation was never seriously being worked on, and SegaCD emulation is not being worked on.

Oh no, it is not tedious at all. You misunderstand. I just tend to forget to activate it until it's too late. Smile
It is certainly not a feature that will make me like Mednafen any less.

I think Mednafen is the best emulator there is. Period. In fact, it is my favorite emulator (besides WinUAE) nad I love, how it works and the fact everything is controlled by a INI-file and it doesn't require any gui just a simple doubleclick on my rom-files.

I honestly thought, I might have been a nice idea to have such an "rewind always on" setting and that it would be simple to implement. I can certainly live without it.

About Sega CD emulation: That is really too bad. I do hope you'll implement it at one point. Right now I use Kega Fusion but I don't really like that emulator much. It just doesn't work quite the way I want it to - Mednafen does (except for CDs and 32x).
icon6.gif  Re: Feature Requests [message #2938 is a reply to message #2936 ] Fri, 08 February 2013 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
delvalle  [PM]
For those who must have REWIND BY DEFAULT...
---------------------------------------------
Run this command before running mednafen (easy enough to automate with an alias or script):

xdotool sleep 2 search --sync --class mednafen key alt+s

That will wait till mednafen shows up, wait 2 seconds, then send the alt+s keystroke.

xdotool should be available in most linux distros
http://www.semicomplete.com/projects/xdotool/xdotool.xhtml

For other Operating Systems, there must be equivalent software to send a keystroke.

I know it's sort of hacky, but when you have an itch to scratch...

FEATURE REQUESTS (might as well, right?)
-----------------
*Integrate newer bsnes/higan into mednafen
*Offer playlist like features and remote control for music playback (and/or front-ends).
*Add game-genie code entry support for SNES.
Re: Feature Requests [message #2942 is a reply to message #2938 ] Wed, 13 February 2013 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
xenphor  [PM]
I would just like further development of PSX emulation in Medanfen. Even in its infant state I think it already is better than epsxe and psX, so any more work on it would be nice. The main problem with epsxe and psX is that I have found no way to get a good vsync'd image on either; however, I am able to attain a mostly stutter free experience on Mednafen (hopefully stays that way). I suppose one specific feature would be save state support for psx but I'm sure that's probably been requested.
Re: Feature Requests [message #3135 is a reply to message #1294 ] Fri, 19 July 2013 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
5247846  [PM]
For PSX emulation:
to make textures look better, quads must be rendered as quads.
Re: Feature Requests [message #3236 is a reply to message #1294 ] Thu, 07 November 2013 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Poizonous  [PM]
Not major but would really like to see these:

1. Individual PSX and NES volume settings like PCE has. I find Medna too quiet especially compared to P.E.Op.S. DSound and Nestopia. Even the global "sound.volume" setting doesn't seem loud or full enough when maxed.

2. Per-system keybind settings for the fast forward/rewind hotkeys. I like to use them for NES, TurboGrafx systems and such so they're binded on my controller. However, would like to disable them when playing something like PSX which shares those buttons and isn't needed.
Pages (3): [1  2  3    »]  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:retro achievements
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ ]

Current Time: Sun May 12 23:21:10 CDT 2024
.:: Contact :: Home ::.