Mednafen Members Members   Search Search   Help Help   Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
Home » Other » PC Engine, PC-FX » PC-FX homebrew development with Mednafen.
Show: Today's Messages  :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
PC-FX homebrew development with Mednafen. [message #3917] Mon, 23 February 2015 21:39 Go to next message
elmer  [PM]
With both an updated GCC 4.5, and liberis ... the next step forward for homebrew development for the PC-FX would be a working GDB for full source-level debugging.

So ... I'm guessing that the approach to take would be an emulated serial port within the emulated PC-FX, that talks to Mednafen itself. Then Mednafen would create a tcp/ip debugging port and connect to an instance of GDB running on the "host".

GDB would think that it's just connected to the PC-FX through a tcp/ip link.

Does that sound like a sensible approach?

If it does ... then I assume that it could be applied to other emulated environments within Mednafen.

Does anybody have any comments/suggestions?
Re: PC-FX homebrew development with Mednafen. [message #3922 is a reply to message #3917 ] Mon, 02 March 2015 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elmer  [PM]
OK, I guess that I'm completely on my own with this one.
Re: PC-FX homebrew development with Mednafen. [message #3925 is a reply to message #3922 ] Thu, 05 March 2015 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
It might be better to add gdb functionality directly in Mednafen's CPU emulation and related code, rather than running a debugger on the emulated system, to prevent timing problems when debugging some types of code.

[Updated on: Thu, 05 March 2015 00:17]

Re: PC-FX homebrew development with Mednafen. [message #3926 is a reply to message #3925 ] Thu, 05 March 2015 21:51 Go to previous message
elmer  [PM]
That would definitely be the best way to do it with an emulator like Mednafen ... and it would be by far the most powerful way.

But I'm worried that it's also going to require a lot more knowledge of Mednafen's inner workings ... and that concerns me a little.

I'll give it a try ... I can always fall back to the other method if I have problems.

BTW ... I was really impressed with how easy it was to get Mednafen compiling with msys2 on Windows ... thanks for all your hard work.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Games impacted by Sprite Limit Setting
Next Topic:What's wrong with this archive?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ ]

Current Time: Sat May 11 05:49:50 CDT 2024
.:: Contact :: Home ::.