Mednafen Members Members   Search Search   Help Help   Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
Home » Mednafen » General » Running Mednafen under Linux/X on a multi-monitor setup.
Show: Today's Messages  :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Running Mednafen under Linux/X on a multi-monitor setup. [message #4321] Thu, 18 February 2016 17:45
michaelrose  [PM]
If you have tried to run Mednafen under Linux on a multi-monitor system you may have already run into an annoying issue that rather than appearing on one screen or the other your game appears dead center between one monitor and the other. The good news is there is a simple fix.

The underlying issue stems from an interaction between SDL 1.2, which Mednafen employs and X and we are going to fix it by editing xorg.conf. This requires root privileges so you can either edit it as root or sudo -e /etc/X11/xorg.conf Before you do this you may wish to back up this configuration file so that you can easily restore it. If the worst happens and reboot into a blinking cursor rather than your normal friendly graphical environment don't panic restore the old config file and reboot.

Now on to xorg.conf. The file at first may seem intimidating but you don't need to know much about the syntax because we are only going to make a very minor change. Our target looks like so

Section "Screen"
    Option "metamodes" "your modes"
EndSection

Your modes should be a list of devices, resolutions, and positions, for example mine.
"DVI-I-0: nvidia-auto-select +1680+0, DVI-I-1: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"

To see a list of devices attached run xrandr | grep " connected"

What we are going to do is pick the device you would like fullscreen mednafen to appear on for example and add a metamode for just that device to your metamodes. To do this inside the "" add ;MONITOR: RESOLUTION for reference here is my modified line.
Option "metamodes" "DVI-I-0: nvidia-auto-select +1680+0, DVI-I-1: nvidia-auto-select +0+0; DVI-I-0: 1920x1080"

Note you will have to log out or reboot in order for this change to be effective.

Enoy!

Fix courtesy of Haakon Riiser original post at https://forums.libsdl.org/viewtopic.php?t=7233&sid=61d926ffa13ebe5a7a2f6bbf6f76662d

[Updated on: Thu, 18 February 2016 18:03]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Known frontends/GUIs.
Next Topic:Feature requests should now go in the 'Feature Requests' forum.
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ ]

Current Time: Sat May 11 21:15:04 CDT 2024
.:: Contact :: Home ::.