Mednafen Members Members   Search Search   Help Help   Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
Home » Mednafen » Bugs » PCE Bugs Reports
Show: Today's Messages  :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
PCE Bugs Reports [message #3342] Fri, 07 March 2014 13:26 Go to next message
Administrator  [PM]
Do not report bugs for the pce_fast module in this topic.

Akiyama Jin no Suugaku Mystery - Screen is black instead of displaying graphics; appears to be due to a VDC timing issue of some sort.

Cobra 2 - Hangs during gameplay.

Double Dragon II - "Double Dragon" voice effect at game start cuts off early due to lack of emulation of CD seek delays.

Hyper Dyne SideArms Special - Status bar is jumpy in the "BC" game mode.

Popful Mail - Glitches and hangs during the third cutscene.

TV Sports Football - Hangs on "New Season" and "Standings/Schedule" on Japanese version, massive slowdown and music problems on USA version.

Wonder Momo - Broken title screen and intermission screens(probably related to VDC VRAM write bandwidth).

[Updated on: Tue, 01 September 2020 05:52]

[PCE] Cobra 2 Densetsu no Otoko hang [message #4107 is a reply to message #3342 ] Wed, 22 July 2015 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
harakari  [PM]
I can't get around this hang for the Cobra 2 PCE CD game.

Attached the machine state - try the 3rd dialog option from the top (press down twice) or the dialog option to the right (press to the right) and after a couple brief scenes, it will hang.

I tried the cd read timing fix from another thread, and recompiled and ran but it didn't work Sad

Re: [PCE] Cobra 2 Densetsu no Otoko hang [message #4108 is a reply to message #4107 ] Wed, 22 July 2015 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
Confirmed, looks like a problem with a CD transfer IRQ, something I never tested on a real system.
Re: [PCE] Cobra 2 Densetsu no Otoko hang [message #4110 is a reply to message #4108 ] Wed, 22 July 2015 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
harakari  [PM]
I think I read in another PCE emulator patch notes (Ootake) that this hanging issue was fixed for this game. Since that's open source maybe can lift the fix from there? Smile
[PCE] TV Sports Football (Japanese ver) [message #4203 is a reply to message #3342 ] Thu, 01 October 2015 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
doru2  [PM]
It hungs up for "NEW SEASON" and "STANDINGS/SCHEDULE" mode in the game.

but it works fine by pce_fast module,though.

Re: [PCE] TV Sports Football (Japanese ver) [message #4205 is a reply to message #4203 ] Thu, 01 October 2015 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
Confirmed. Possibly a timing issue in relation to VBlank IRQ timing versus SATB DMA IRQ timing.

[Updated on: Thu, 01 October 2015 07:29]

[PCE] Gomola Speed - Enemy Sprite Distortion [message #4327 is a reply to message #3342 ] Tue, 15 March 2016 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pceboy  [PM]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOzYLSVNayU

at 16:33 in Act 9 an enemy type is distorted

at 21:13 in Act 11 the boss is distorted

at 32:57 in Act 18 an enemy type is distorted

at 46:04 in Act 25 the last boss is distorted

That video is from May 4, 2013, but I just now (15-20 minutes ago) played through the game from the beginning to the end and found the exact same bugs. I used mednafen version 0.9.38.7 (October 1, 2015). The ROM I used was "Gomola Speed (Japan).pce" from the No-Intro set released on 20151117.

Here are screenshots of the proper enemy sprites:
http://weva.style.coocan.jp/pcepage/PG01A/GSe.htm
http://weva.style.coocan.jp/pcepage/PG01A/GSb.htm

Here's video that shows the enemies with proper graphics:
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm3934258
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm3934342

Awfully sorry, but those are the only videos I could find.
Re: PCE Bugs Reports [message #4503 is a reply to message #3342 ] Sat, 03 September 2016 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leonhart9  [PM]
Akumajou Dracula X - Chi no Rondo:

Enemy sprites in a specific location of Stage 7 have transparent chunks
https://i.imgur.com/jdLxcik.png

State 0 shows the issue clearly
State 1 shows the issue from another spot on a different enemy sprite

I do not have a TurboGrafx-16 to test whether or not hardware exhibits this issue. Apologies for the noise if it does.

Re: PCE Bugs Reports [message #4533 is a reply to message #4503 ] Wed, 21 September 2016 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
It's probably hitting the VDC's per-line sprite limit.

http://mednafen.fobby.net/documentation/pce.html#Advanced+Usage%01Sprite+Flickering
Re: PCE Bugs Reports [message #4534 is a reply to message #4533 ] Wed, 21 September 2016 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leonhart9  [PM]
Confirmed that enabling pce.nospritelimit causes the issue to disappear. Thanks and sorry for the noise.
Re: PCE Bugs Reports [message #4612 is a reply to message #3342 ] Sat, 15 October 2016 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tatsuya79  [PM]
Gensou Tairiku Auleria (J): black screen during the beginning of the intro.

(same behaviour with pce_fast)
icon9.gif  Re: PCE Bugs Reports [message #4824 is a reply to message #3342 ] Fri, 10 February 2017 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nanitaro  [PM]
Ryuuko no Ken (Art of Fighting)
Garou Densetsu Special (Fatal Fury Special)

6 Button pad does not work.
Re: PCE Bugs Reports [message #5068 is a reply to message #3342 ] Thu, 13 July 2017 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Neville  [PM]
Sorry if this has been reported before... I've run into problems when trying to run this TurboGrafx-16 CD-ROM games:

- Dragon Ball Z - Idainaru Son Gokuu Densetsu (J) --> Black screen after the Super CD-ROM System screen.

- Mirai Shounen Conan (J) --> This one progresses a little after the Super CD-ROM System screen, but gets stuck in this screen:

http://i.imgur.com/DYYdo9z.png

Since it is in Japanese I can't tell if displays an error message or not.

For both games I'm using BIN+CUE rips, latest Mednafen release and the Super CD-ROM System v3.00 bios.

They *could* be bad rips, so it would be great if somebody else can test these two games.

EDIT: Tried both games with Ootake and they both seem to run.

[Updated on: Thu, 13 July 2017 15:18]

Re: PCE Bugs Reports [message #5070 is a reply to message #5068 ] Fri, 14 July 2017 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
F1ReB4LL  [PM]
Neville wrote on Thu, 13 July 2017 15:07

- Mirai Shounen Conan (J) --> This one progresses a little after the Super CD-ROM System screen, but gets stuck in this screen:

I think it says you need to use the Super System Card instead of the regular System Card. Are you sure you were using the 3.0 one and it really was the "Super CD-ROM System screen", not just "CD-ROM System"?
Re: PCE Bugs Reports [message #5071 is a reply to message #5070 ] Fri, 14 July 2017 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Neville  [PM]
Yes, I'm using the Super CD-ROM v3.00. The game also runs in Ootake using the same settings.
Re: PCE Bugs Reports [message #5084 is a reply to message #5071 ] Mon, 24 July 2017 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shaddap  [PM]
Just chiming in to back up Neville's bug report. Dragon Ball Z - Idainaru Son Gokuu Densetsu does indeed get stuck on a black screen upon pressing start at the Super CD-ROM2 System screen. Have tried this with a a Redump verified cue/bin on both RetroPie (current lr-beetle-pce-fast, with working syscard3.pce) and on mednafen on Windows 10 (with syscard3.pce in the root directory of mednafen.exe).

Would love to see the game running!

EDIT: Turns out that it was actually a problem with the BIOS itself! I went ahead and found myself a different syscard3.pce (oddly enough, the previous one I used worked fine for most other games) and sure enough, Dragon Ball Z loaded up fine. Maybe this will fix the issue with Mirai Shounen Conan as well.

EDIT #2: Here's the md5 checksum of the BAD/FAULTY syscard3.pce:

0754f903b52e3b3342202bdafb13efa5  syscard3.pce

Just for reference, here's the correct/working BIOS file's checksum:

38179df8f4ac870017db21ebcbf53114  syscard3.pce

Also, I can confirm that Mirai Shounen Conan works perfectly.

[Updated on: Tue, 25 July 2017 05:41]

Re: PCE Bugs Reports [message #5689 is a reply to message #3342 ] Sat, 20 October 2018 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dshadoff  [PM]
Administrator wrote on Fri, 07 March 2014 13:26

Double Dragon II - "Double Dragon" voice effect at game start cuts off early due to lack of emulation of CD seek delays.

This is only partially true; this problem also happens on real hardware.

I have run a series of tests on seek time for the PC Engine CD-ROM drive on my TurbDuo, which I will post separately in the forum.

- The current (as at 2018/10/20) seek time delay is 1/25 of a second (3 sectors' worth), or about 0.04 seconds
- In order to allow the ADPCM message to complete properly, roughly 23 sectors' of delay are needed (23/75, or 0.306 seconds)
- This seek (from sector 0x135A to 0x1366, a gap of 0x0C sectors), normally takes 11 VSYNCs according to my measurements (11/60 second, or 0.183 seconds)

So, Double Dragon's problem isn't entirely the fault of Mednafen (only about 50%).

HOWEVER, the following seek time problems still exist:
- Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari (set text speed to high, then enter/exit the bookstore quickly, ADPCM will continue beyond the appropriate message).
- Super Darius (press RUN at START screen, music starts too quickly, overlapping ADPCM)
- Mugen Senshi Valis (initial cinema, after she enters the schoolyard, video/audio get desynced because of inappropriate seek time)
Re: PCE Bugs Reports [message #5806 is a reply to message #3342 ] Mon, 04 March 2019 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elmer  [PM]
There is a problem with the memory register values that Mednafen is returning for $18C0..$18C7.

This causes the Godzilla SuperCD game (both US and Japanese versions) and Tenshi no Uta to fail to run if you use a Turbografx Super System Card image as the CD BIOS.

I've tested both a Duo-R and a TurboDuo, and the values that they return in that region are ...
00 AA 55 03 FF FF FF FF

The values that Mednafen returns are ...
00 AA 55 00 00 AA 55 03

These values cause the ex_memopen function to return an incorrect value in the X register when using a Turbografx Super System Card, which then causes some games to fail to run.

This can be fixed by changing the code in mednafen/src/pcecd.cpp, line 562 in the function PCECD_Read() from ...

if((A & 0x18c0) == 0x18c0)
 {
  switch (A & 0x18cf)
  {
   case 0x18c1: ret = 0xaa; break;
   case 0x18c2:	ret = 0x55; break;
   case 0x18c3: ret = 0x00; break;
   case 0x18c5:	ret = 0xaa; break;
   case 0x18c6: ret = 0x55; break;
   case 0x18c7:	ret = 0x03; break;
  }
 }

to ...

if((A & 0x18c0) == 0x18c0)
 {
  switch (A & 0x18cf)
  {
   case 0x18c0: ret = 0x00; break;
   case 0x18c1: ret = 0xaa; break;
   case 0x18c2:	ret = 0x55; break;
   case 0x18c3: ret = 0x03; break;
   default:     ret = 0xff; break;
  }
 }

Re: PCE Bugs Reports [message #5810 is a reply to message #5806 ] Thu, 07 March 2019 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elmer  [PM]
elmer wrote on Mon, 04 March 2019 20:36

I've tested both a Duo-R and a TurboDuo, and the values that they return in that region are ...
00 AA 55 03 FF FF FF FF

Further investigation confirms that Mednafen really *should* be returning the values shown above, which indicate that the machine has 192KB of internal SCD RAM.

The values that Mednafen is currently using indicates that the console has internal SCD RAM, but zero KB (which is why the games are failing), and that it has 192KB of SCD RAM on an external Super System Card ... but only on a PCE. The two ID bytes $18C5/$18C6 don't read as valid to the TurboGrafx Super System Card because they are not bitflipped.
Re: PCE Bugs Reports [message #5833 is a reply to message #3342 ] Tue, 23 April 2019 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tatsuya79  [PM]
I'm hearing clicks in many standard hucard games I play with the PCE core on the default "match" PSG revision setting.
Same clicks forcing huc6280.

huc6280a gives me the best result, can't hear any with it selected.
I'm reporting it as it's the opposite of the description in the docs, so I wonder if there's an issue here:

Quote:

huc6280a - HuC6280A
HuC6280A as found in the SuperGrafx and CoreGrafx I. Provides proper channel amplitude centering, but may cause clicking in a few games designed with the original HuC6280's sound characteristics in mind.

The best example I found is listening to Cyber Core sound test SE09 where it's really obvious.
Re: PCE Bugs Reports [message #5838 is a reply to message #5833 ] Tue, 23 April 2019 19:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
Tatsuya79 wrote on Tue, 23 April 2019 11:51

I'm hearing clicks in many standard hucard games I play with the PCE core on the default "match" PSG revision setting.
Same clicks forcing huc6280.

huc6280a gives me the best result, can't hear any with it selected.
I'm reporting it as it's the opposite of the description in the docs, so I wonder if there's an issue here:

Quote:

huc6280a - HuC6280A
HuC6280A as found in the SuperGrafx and CoreGrafx I. Provides proper channel amplitude centering, but may cause clicking in a few games designed with the original HuC6280's sound characteristics in mind.

The best example I found is listening to Cyber Core sound test SE09 where it's really obvious.

Documentation is updated in 1.22.2 to address the confusion.

https://mednafen.github.io/documentation/pce.html#pce.psgrevision

[Updated on: Tue, 23 April 2019 19:57]

Re: PCE Bugs Reports [message #5868 is a reply to message #3342 ] Mon, 13 May 2019 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Speedvicio  [PM]
Kyuukyoku Tiger.
The vertical scroll remain blocked into start sequence, the same game work without problems with pce_fast module.
Re: PCE Bugs Reports [message #5869 is a reply to message #5868 ] Mon, 13 May 2019 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
Speedvicio wrote on Mon, 13 May 2019 18:40

Kyuukyoku Tiger.
The vertical scroll remain blocked into start sequence, the same game work without problems with pce_fast module.

Cheaters never win. ;p
Re: PCE Bugs Reports [message #5870 is a reply to message #5869 ] Tue, 14 May 2019 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Speedvicio  [PM]
I didn't even know I had those codes enabled Razz
Re: PCE Bugs Reports [message #5937 is a reply to message #3342 ] Tue, 17 September 2019 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jjfmz42015  [PM]
Memory was wrong. Not a bug. Sorry

[Updated on: Wed, 18 September 2019 21:24]

Re: PCE Bugs Reports [message #6262 is a reply to message #3342 ] Fri, 24 July 2020 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mailand1994  [PM]
Popful Mail - Corrupted cutscenes have returned

The corrupted cutscenes in Popful Mail that were said to be fixed in 0.90 appears to have returned in 1.25.

The first two cutscenes work fine, but the third one that plays after you rescue Tatto has corrupted graphics.

When this cutscene plays, game controls become unresponsive and when it finishes playing, the game locks up.

Re: PCE Bugs Reports [message #6271 is a reply to message #5084 ] Sun, 16 August 2020 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arromdee  [PM]
Shaddap wrote on Mon, 24 July 2017 00:10

EDIT: Turns out that it was actually a problem with the BIOS itself! I went ahead and found myself a different syscard3.pce (oddly enough, the previous one I used worked fine for most other games) and sure enough, Dragon Ball Z loaded up fine.

I had this problem on both Mednafen and on a Super SD System 3 connected to an actual Turbografx.

Your solution worked for me.

Mirai Shonen Conan also has the problem you describe, on both Mednafen and on the SSDS3.

Your solution also worked for me on that.

However... the "bad" syscard3.pce has the checksum of the No-Intro US 3.0 BIOS and the "good" one has the checksum of the No-Intro Japanese 3.0 BIOS. Which means that unless this BIOS is bad in No-Intro, something really weird is going on. Furthermore, I just tried dumping my US 3.0 BIOS myself and it's the same as the No-Intro version, so it can't be bad, and back in the day I used the US system 3.0 card to play Mirai Shonen Conan and it didn't give that screen.
Re: PCE Bugs Reports [message #6278 is a reply to message #6262 ] Tue, 01 September 2020 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
mailand1994 wrote on Fri, 24 July 2020 05:46

Popful Mail - Corrupted cutscenes have returned

The corrupted cutscenes in Popful Mail that were said to be fixed in 0.90 appears to have returned in 1.25.

The first two cutscenes work fine, but the third one that plays after you rescue Tatto has corrupted graphics.

When this cutscene plays, game controls become unresponsive and when it finishes playing, the game locks up.

Confirmed. Not sure if it's a really old regression(if it is, it might have broken in 0.9.38.6), or if it never worked right.

As a possible workaround, you could save the game before the cutscene, and use the "pce_fast" module with "pce_fast.ocmultiplier" set to "4" to get past it, though I don't know if later cutscenes have similar problems or not.

[Updated on: Tue, 01 September 2020 06:15]

Re: PCE Bugs Reports [message #6883 is a reply to message #4824 ] Sun, 07 May 2023 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bslenul  [PM]
nanitaro wrote on Fri, 10 February 2017 04:40

Ryuuko no Ken (Art of Fighting)
Garou Densetsu Special (Fatal Fury Special)

6 Button pad does not work.

Hey!

Looks like this is still happening sadly Sad Only tried with Garou Densetsu Special (PCE CD), works perfectly fine with 3-buttons but is completely broken with 6-buttons, most buttons don't seem to do anything and others are in the wrong place (e.g. VI becomes RUN and III becomes I).

Since there's RUN and I still available I was able to start a match, and oh boy this is... weird Very Happy
Looks like for whatever reason on hard knockdowns the game starts to glitch, sometimes it's just the characters becoming invisible, sometimes it freezes with corrupted textures, etc.

I made a little collection here: https://youtu.be/nryyQoWqrh0
The last one (starting at 2:40) is particularly funny as it even starts some kind of sound test Razz

Sometimes after restarting (F11) while glitched, you get this screen: https://i.imgur.com/fi3oeXC.png

I attached a state if interested, easiest way to reproduce is to approach P2 then press III on P1 (which should output a I press because of the 6-buttons being messed up).

All of this DOES NOT happen with pce_fast, 6-buttons work fine and no glitches on knockdowns.

*edit*
Disabling multitap is also acting weird with 6-buttons, P2 is still able to join but both players are tied to P1 controls.

[Updated on: Tue, 09 May 2023 05:11]

Re: PCE Bugs Reports [message #6884 is a reply to message #3342 ] Mon, 08 May 2023 07:00 Go to previous message
bslenul  [PM]
All of the issues I mentioned in the post above seem to be fixed if I swap the commented if statement with the uncommented one here in src/pce/input/gamepad.cpp:
void PCE_Input_Gamepad::Write(int32 timestamp, bool old_SEL, bool new_SEL, bool old_CLR, bool new_CLR)
{
 SEL = new_SEL;
 CLR = new_CLR;

//if(old_SEL && new_SEL && old_CLR && !new_CLR)
 if(!old_SEL && new_SEL)
  AVPad6Which = !AVPad6Which;
}

so changed to:
void PCE_Input_Gamepad::Write(int32 timestamp, bool old_SEL, bool new_SEL, bool old_CLR, bool new_CLR)
{
 SEL = new_SEL;
 CLR = new_CLR;

//if(!old_SEL && new_SEL)
 if(old_SEL && new_SEL && old_CLR && !new_CLR)
  AVPad6Which = !AVPad6Which;
}

No more 6-buttons issues, no more freeze/crash/weird behavior. Street Fighter II' also has issues with 6-buttons when multitap is disabled, with this change it works properly.

That being said I've only tested a few games and I imagine it was commented for a good reason in the first place, so no idea if it can cause other issues...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:SNES(Faust) Bug Reports
Next Topic:PSX bugs reports
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ ]

Current Time: Sat May 11 22:51:51 CDT 2024
.:: Contact :: Home ::.