Mednafen Members Members   Search Search   Help Help   Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
Home » Mednafen » Feature Requests » CHD support
Show: Today's Messages  :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
CHD support [message #5252] Sun, 01 October 2017 16:14 Go to next message
Xenomorph  [PM]
CHD is a good format for CD images, including ones with audio tracks, because it can compress not just the data but the audio tracks in lossless flac, and this is a space saver. The libretro cores based on mednafen support this and it works quite well.
Re: CHD support [message #5254 is a reply to message #5252 ] Mon, 02 October 2017 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Speedvicio  [PM]
Mednafen already included the support for cue/bin/iso with audio compressed format (ogg,mpc,flac,wav).
You can make one easly if you want to preserve space.
Re: CHD support [message #5501 is a reply to message #5254 ] Mon, 09 April 2018 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gt46l  [PM]
CHD, or other 100% quality archival formats, are becoming ubiquitous with most emulators. Its easily batch-able with a dos script, 0 data loss, random access supported compression, and a single file per disc.

As people groom their rom collections and make them playable over multiple architectures(x86, amd64, aarch32/64, etc), they are switching to emulators that support these compressed formats over all architectures.

Mednafen may support some form of space saving file types, but its not easy creating them, and is turning into a headache storing those separate versions (iso/bin/cue/mp3/ogg) just for this emulator.

I am sure the devs have other priorities, but please consider updating Mednafen x64 for CHD support. I would not suggest this without putting some skin in the game myself, and I would offer to start a bounty for this request to which I would contribute. If others are also interested, please reply below. At a minimum maybe it would get the devs to take a deeper look at this request.
Re: CHD support [message #6378 is a reply to message #5501 ] Fri, 22 January 2021 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spoopryme  [PM]
I don't think people choose an emulator based off of what format the game images are stored in.

Creating the "space saving file types" is often as easy as changing some settings in the software you use to rip the game.

Keep all of your scattered bin/wave/iso/cue files in a properly labelled folder if you feel unorganized.

Many, many (many) people use emulators on relatively low-end systems, so even if the emulators they use can uncompress dvd-sized files on-the-fly they would still need to keep their personal archives uncompressed for ease and speed.
Re: CHD support [message #6497 is a reply to message #5254 ] Sun, 18 July 2021 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olhi  [PM]
> If others are also interested, please reply below. At a minimum maybe it would get the devs to take a deeper look at this request.

Adding myself to the list.

> I don't think people choose an emulator based off of what format the game images are stored in.

That's actually a main reason why I use RetroArch now for most PS1 games. Having everything in a single file is super convenient. More so than sorting by folder, which I have done before.
Re: CHD support [message #6556 is a reply to message #5252 ] Wed, 20 October 2021 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ContraHardDoc  [PM]
> If others are also interested, please reply below. At a minimum maybe it would get the devs to take a deeper look at this request.

I registered just to say that I am very interested in .chd support
Re: CHD support [message #6565 is a reply to message #6556 ] Mon, 25 October 2021 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VicViperGradius  [PM]
ContraHardDoc wrote on Wed, 20 October 2021 21:57

I registered just to say that I am very interested in .chd support

Same just registered to say i'm interested in CHD support too.
Re: CHD support [message #6644 is a reply to message #5252 ] Fri, 18 February 2022 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sakurataisen  [PM]
I support this feature request. CHD format has now become the "standard" for compressed BIN/CUE disc images. It has been adopted by MAME, Duckstation, Redream, PCSX2 and multiple other actively maintained emulators of disc-based consoles. The format saves a lot of space over BIN/CUE and is entirely lossless. It's a mature and non-problematic format. Mednafen should work on adopting this format with high priority.

[Updated on: Fri, 18 February 2022 12:16]

Re: CHD support [message #6647 is a reply to message #6644 ] Sat, 19 February 2022 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Speedvicio  [PM]
The latest releases of mednafen have support for zip files even with the zstd compression algorithm. I think it is not necessary to add support to a format that is only used by some emulators when zip is universally supported. If you want to preserve additional space you could always convert the audio tracks of a game cd into flac which mednafen supports and compress everything into zip.
Re: CHD support [message #6649 is a reply to message #5252 ] Sat, 19 February 2022 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yuri Bacon  [PM]
If y'all don't have enough space for PS1 games, either just spare some money for another hard drive, or you're not actually gonna play all of 'em.

Compressed formats are nice for complete archive, but for general use, bin cue works fine for me. I don't have that many games.

Also its worth noting that if you get your bin cues legally, bothering with CHD is an extra step from the bin cue that IMGburn or Brasero would give you, so you'd have to be pretty strapped for space to bother with a lot of games I'd imagine.

Just my prerogative, anyways. If you really need CHD that bad and mednafen dev isn't quick enough for ya, source is always there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
she/her
Use my mednafen servers? Contact me! https://discord.gg/ngZuC9c8Wr
Play Digimon Rumble Arena: https://discord.gg/wg5j5Np
Re: CHD support [message #6811 is a reply to message #5252 ] Mon, 21 November 2022 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heartsaglow  [PM]
Are there any plans to revisit CHD support?

The Steam Deck came out this year, and it comes in 3 sizes: 64 GB, 256 GB, and 512 GB, with one micro SD card slot.

Storage space is tricky with the Steam Deck and I really love using Mednafen, CHD would be a huge boon in my opinion in allowing further optimization of that storage space.

I originally used the Beetle Saturn RetroArch core, which does support CHD, and moved over to Mednafen when I found it had better compatibility and more reliable updates. Having to convert back is a bit of a hassle, and loses that precious storage space.

Plenty of stand-alone emulators support CHD these days and I would really love to see Mednafen support it one day!
Re: CHD support [message #6897 is a reply to message #5252 ] Sun, 16 July 2023 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kjace  [PM]
I have also Steamdeck 256gb and chd is great solution for me. Some games take 25mb not 300mb. Will be nice add support chd format and also 2x internal resolution. Native resolution from psx for big tv looks very bad.

[Updated on: Sun, 16 July 2023 01:40]

Re: CHD support [message #6903 is a reply to message #6897 ] Mon, 17 July 2023 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Speedvicio  [PM]
You can rip your games with audio track and make it smaller and then compress all into zip.
This pratice is only for storage purpose and not for preservation, but that should be the way to go for your case.

If you want you can follow the guide I posted in my discord channel:

https://discord.com/channels/334639759836053505/792750950363168768/794898931992756224

[Updated on: Mon, 17 July 2023 05:43]

Re: CHD support [message #6904 is a reply to message #6903 ] Mon, 17 July 2023 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kjace  [PM]
You are right but for cd/dvd images zip is not comfortable and my rpi4 does not like big "zipes" Smile
Now emulators for amiga cd/cd32, sega cd, psx, dreamcats and more support this format and is easy use between steamdeck-Rpi-PC
I use ripped WE and Tekken 10mb/23mb in chd but WE2k2 with seadog patch is in zip 300mb.

[Updated on: Mon, 17 July 2023 06:26]

Re: CHD support [message #6905 is a reply to message #6904 ] Mon, 17 July 2023 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Speedvicio  [PM]
kjace wrote on Mon, 17 July 2023 06:11

You are right but for cd/dvd images zip is not comfortable and my rpi4 does not like big "zipes" Smile
Now emulators for amiga cd/cd32, sega cd, psx, dreamcats and more support this format and is easy use between steamdeck-Rpi-PC
I use ripped WE and Tekken 10mb/23mb in chd but WE2k2 with seadog patch is in zip 300mb.

Big zipped?
Rayman psx from 669 mb to 168 mb, you can't obtain that dimension with CHD compression, also last Mednafen manage .zip by caching the entire file into ram on the fly.
Re: CHD support [message #6906 is a reply to message #6905 ] Mon, 17 July 2023 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kjace  [PM]
ARM in RPi is not powerfull need some time to unpack big image files. I have my favourite games on external hd in chd format and is easy plug and play to any hardware and just play.
You are right but not all zip files LZMA not working
and most of "sets" in internet are in 7z. Some SBCs have 1gb ram and some emulators for unpack zip files create temp folder.

Zip is great but chd format also has good points.
Re: CHD support [message #7020 is a reply to message #5252 ] Sun, 25 February 2024 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smbhax  [PM]
Possibly I'm doing something wrong but for PCE bin & cue emulation, Mednafen seems to be limited to ~67.1 MB for a zip file.

ares will load PCE .chd files though so I'll be using that emulator for PCE. : )
Re: CHD support [message #7021 is a reply to message #6565 ] Wed, 28 February 2024 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ssokolow  [PM]
Just registered this to say that I too want CHD.

Having tried it to fit more games into a 128GB USB3 stick with Batocera Linux on it, and with Duckstation being so accessible via Flathub and "Will it work on a pre-SSE4.1 Athlon II?" no longer being a concern for which emulators I can run, I'll be switching to Duckstation on my regular desktop to make it easy to share my CHDs between systems.
Re: CHD support [message #7027 is a reply to message #6378 ] Thu, 28 March 2024 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TheDon4299  [PM]
spoopryme wrote on Fri, 22 January 2021 12:09

I don't think people choose an emulator based off of what format the game images are stored in.

Actually, people do. And sometimes, it is others that choose for them. I know for a fact that EmuDeck will not have any interest in including Mednafen/Mednaffe until .chd support is implemented. EmuDeck has been the gateway for many folks to get into emulating on PC handhelds, so Mednafen could stand to get a lot more supporters out of this.
Re: CHD support [message #7028 is a reply to message #5252 ] Wed, 03 April 2024 16:17 Go to previous message
Speedvicio  [PM]
There is a Mednafen fork created for CRT video that support chd file.

https://github.com/psakhis/emu4crt
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:[snes_faust] CPU overclock
Next Topic:retro achievements
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ ]

Current Time: Mon May 13 04:29:35 CDT 2024
.:: Contact :: Home ::.