Mednafen Members Members   Search Search   Help Help   Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
Home » Mednafen » Bugs » Screen flickers in fullscreen mode
Show: Today's Messages  :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Screen flickers in fullscreen mode [message #5754] Thu, 10 January 2019 19:24 Go to next message
lucas  [PM]
I have experienced this issue with both 1.21.3 and 1.22.0-UNSTABLE. When playing in fullscreen mode, sometimes the black border around the game screen will start to flicker rapidly, exposing the windows and desktop behind it. If I press Alt-Enter twice, it will return to fullscreen without the flickering. (But it will return eventually. I have no idea what sets it off.)

Here are my specs:

I'm running Linux (Kubuntu 18.10). I have a quad-core AMD processor with an onboard graphics card which lspci tell me is
[AMD/ATI] Cedar [Radeon HD 5000/6000/7350/8350 Series].

I have tried different display settings, but nothing seems to help. I've disabled the compositor, and that doesn't seem to do anything, either.
Re: Screen flickers in fullscreen mode [message #5756 is a reply to message #5754 ] Mon, 14 January 2019 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lucas  [PM]
I think I've found a workaround for this bug. In Mednaffe, I went to Global Settings > Video and changed Driver to "softfb". The screen flickering hasn't returned.
Re: Screen flickers in fullscreen mode [message #5757 is a reply to message #5754 ] Tue, 15 January 2019 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AmatCoder  [PM]
Maybe this is an issue with ATI drivers but it is difficult to know.

Are you using proprietary or open-source driver? Are you using wayland?

Does it also happen with others SDL2 applications (like MAME)?
Re: Screen flickers in fullscreen mode [message #5758 is a reply to message #5757 ] Tue, 15 January 2019 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lucas  [PM]
Drivers are open source. I'm not using Wayland, I'm using X11. MAME works well.
Re: Screen flickers in fullscreen mode [message #5760 is a reply to message #5754 ] Thu, 17 January 2019 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AmatCoder  [PM]
Did you disable all desktop effects? Or just suspended for fullscreen windows?
I ask this because KDE documentation states:

Quote:

Suspend desktop effects for fullscreen windows

This setting influences the performance of fullscreen windows such as games. The compositor is suspended as long as there is a fullscreen window. The disadvantage is that it causes flickering when a window appears on top of the fullscreen window (e.g. a context menu) [...]

If the compositor should be disabled while a fullscreen application such as games or video is used it is better to disable compositing either through the shortcut Alt + Shift + F12 or through a window specific rule for the window.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 January 2019 17:39]

Re: Screen flickers in fullscreen mode [message #5761 is a reply to message #5760 ] Fri, 18 January 2019 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lucas  [PM]
I can't find that setting. It looks like that documentation was written for KDE 4, but I'm running KDE 5. Here are the settings that I have:

Under System Settings > Display and Monitor > Compositor

Enable compositor on startup is unchecked
Scale Method: Crisp
Rendering Backend: XRender
Tearing prevention ("vsync"): Full screen repaints
Keep window thumbnails: Only for shown windows
Allow applications to block compositing is checked
Re: Screen flickers in fullscreen mode [message #5762 is a reply to message #5754 ] Sat, 19 January 2019 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AmatCoder  [PM]
Ah, sorry. I don't use KDE. Embarassed

I'm out of ideas, I'm afraid. You can take a look to Xorg.0.log the next time it happens to you. Maybe there is some clue there.
Re: Screen flickers in fullscreen mode [message #6931 is a reply to message #5754 ] Thu, 31 August 2023 06:38 Go to previous message
Ilya Indigo  [PM]
I also had this problem unexpectedly, most likely after optimizing KDE configs.

I also have AMD processor, AMD Radeon HD7770 video card (amdgpu driver) openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE4.
Only manifested in mednafen in full screen mode with compositing enabled. I suspected kdm right away.

But I didn't have the "disable compositing on full screen windows" checkbox checked and checking it did NOT do anything.
So I checked the checkbox, saved, unchecked, saved and rebooted.

And these blinks did NOT bother me anymore, even if I checked the checkbox again, saved and rebooted.

Strange problem, as well as a solution, but hopefully it will help someone in the future.

[Updated on: Thu, 31 August 2023 06:44]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:[ATARI LYNX] Music sounds wrong on Chip's Challenge Level 4
Next Topic:[Linux] PulseAudio crash
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ ]

Current Time: Sat May 11 23:38:23 CDT 2024
.:: Contact :: Home ::.