Mednafen Members Members   Search Search   Help Help   Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
Home » Mednafen » Bugs » [Sega Saturn] Crosshair is misaligned in some light gun games
Show: Today's Messages  :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
[Sega Saturn] Crosshair is misaligned in some light gun games [message #6508] Mon, 23 August 2021 05:28 Go to next message
bslenul  [PM]
Hey!

In some Saturn light gun games like The House of the Dead, the shots don't go where the crosshair is.

It's easy to test with HotD in the calibration menu in-game, after shooting at the center as the game asks you to, you'll see that the shots don't go where you aim. And even weirder, after shooting to different parts of the screen, if you go back to the center it might be wrong now!

Tested on Windows 10 and a Linux Mint VM, originally tested on 1.27.1 but it's still happening in 1.31.0 64bit version. This is not a regression, these issues already exist in 0.9.45 which is the first version with SS light gun support.

Here are the results of my tests:

-Area 51: misaligned.
-Chaos Control Remix: fine.
-Crypt Killer: fine.
-Death Crimson: this one is weird, looks like it's only recognizing my shots when I'm moving the cursor, if I'm not moving it's recognized as an off-screen shot (so it reloads for example). It's really hard to tell if it's misaligned or not since I have to move the cursor to shoot...
-Die Hard Trilogy: misaligned horizontally the more you go near the left/right borders. The game doesn't seem to have a calibration menu, which is a bit weird.
-The House of the Dead: misaligned.
-Maximum Force: misaligned.
-Mechanical Violator Hakaider - Last Judgement: fine.
-Mighty Hits: fine.
-Policenauts: fine.
-Scud - The Disposable Assassin: fine.
-Virtua Cop: fine.
-Virtua Cop 2: fine.

2 videos attached (both using the exact same settings):

-hotd.mp4 showing the issue in House of the Dead
-vc2.mp4 showing the calibration menu from Virtua Cop 2, light gun works perfectly fine in this game!

• Attachment: hotd.mp4
    (Size: 1.74MB, Downloaded 77 time(s))

• Attachment: vc2.mp4
    (Size: 1.75MB, Downloaded 61 time(s))

[Updated on: Sun, 28 August 2022 05:51]

Re: [Sega Saturn] Crosshair misaligned in The House of the Dead [message #6509 is a reply to message #6508 ] Tue, 24 August 2021 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
I can reproduce the problem, it's certainly weird. Could it be a bug or quirk of the game itself?
Re: [Sega Saturn] Crosshair misaligned in The House of the Dead [message #6510 is a reply to message #6509 ] Tue, 24 August 2021 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bslenul  [PM]
No idea tbh, I don't remember accuracy being an issue back then on the real console, but it was soooooooo long ago, I could be misremembering... Unfortunately I don't have a light gun or a CRT anymore to double check Razz

Out of curiosity I also tried the EU and JP versions (original, Rev A and even the demo!), but same results.

*edit*
So I've been doing more tests, and it doesn't seem to be exclusive to The House of the Dead, other light gun games are affected, recap game by game added to the original post.

[Updated on: Sun, 28 August 2022 04:25]

Re: [Sega Saturn] Crosshair is misaligned in some light gun games [message #6943 is a reply to message #6508 ] Sat, 16 September 2023 20:16 Go to previous message
Slybo  [PM]
I can confirm.
House of the Dead (USA)
Beetle Core - RetroArch v1.15
When using the mouse to simulate a lightgun the shot is proximately 2 inches to the left of where the crosshair reticle is.

VirtuaCop 1 & 2 seem fine.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:[PSX] Policenauts audio/video sync problem on FMV play
Next Topic:FEDA 2: White Surge The Platoon Memory Card Loading Issue
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ ]

Current Time: Sat May 11 18:12:51 CDT 2024
.:: Contact :: Home ::.