Mednafen Members Members   Search Search   Help Help   Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
Home » Mednafen » Feature Requests » [Libretro] External cores support
Show: Today's Messages  :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon7.gif  [Libretro] External cores support [message #6553] Wed, 20 October 2021 11:32 Go to next message
doomday45  [PM]
So, BizHawk emulator have libretro support. So maybe mednafen should have it too. I dunno how it will work via netplay, but btw it will allow to play N64, SegaCD, Sega32x games and etc etc. I guess It cause avoid license problem with using non-GPL cores.

[Updated on: Wed, 20 October 2021 11:32]

Re: [Libretro] External cores support [message #6554 is a reply to message #6553 ] Wed, 20 October 2021 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yuri Bacon  [PM]
I mean, if you want libretro cores, why not just use Retroarch?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
she/her
Use my mednafen servers? Contact me! https://discord.gg/ngZuC9c8Wr
Play Digimon Rumble Arena: https://discord.gg/wg5j5Np
Re: [Libretro] External cores support [message #6555 is a reply to message #6554 ] Wed, 20 October 2021 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
doomday45  [PM]
Yuri Bacon wrote on Wed, 20 October 2021 18:08

I mean, if you want libretro cores, why not just use Retroarch?

Because Netplay is dead a bit in RArch
Re: [Libretro] External cores support [message #6558 is a reply to message #6553 ] Thu, 21 October 2021 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Riesz  [PM]
LOL that would be nice btw. Thumbs Up
Re: [Libretro] External cores support [message #6559 is a reply to message #6555 ] Thu, 21 October 2021 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yuri Bacon  [PM]
I've heard that RetroArch's netplay experience and how good it is varies wildly between cores and people, but I don't think adding libretro cores to mednafen and using its netplay system will change how "dead" things are. Mednafen's netplay doesn't really give you a way to play with anyone you don't already have communication with. You still gotta make and grow Discord servers or some other community spaces anyhow. Retroarch at least has a game browser, for what that's worth.

Mednafen netplay might be of a more consistent quality, but its netcode still doesn't stand up to the rollback netcode of things like Fightcade 2. It works, and its much better than Smash Ultimate (lol), but you still get inconsistent input delays and can still be largely stuck playing players within your region anyways. If someone were going to go through all the effort to refactor an existing emulator to add libretro core support to something, you might as well make a new libretro frontend altogether with a focus on good quality netplay from the netcode to the UI, since that'd probably be easier and more effective. (Adding libretro support to mednafen might be easier than I'm aware, admittedly.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
she/her
Use my mednafen servers? Contact me! https://discord.gg/ngZuC9c8Wr
Play Digimon Rumble Arena: https://discord.gg/wg5j5Np
Re: [Libretro] External cores support [message #6561 is a reply to message #6559 ] Thu, 21 October 2021 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
doomday45  [PM]
Yuri Bacon wrote on Thu, 21 October 2021 03:39

I've heard that RetroArch's netplay experience and how good it is varies wildly between cores and people, but I don't think adding libretro cores to mednafen and using its netplay system will change how "dead" things are. Mednafen's netplay doesn't really give you a way to play with anyone you don't already have communication with. You still gotta make and grow Discord servers or some other community spaces anyhow. Retroarch at least has a game browser, for what that's worth.

Mednafen netplay might be of a more consistent quality, but its netcode still doesn't stand up to the rollback netcode of things like Fightcade 2. It works, and its much better than Smash Ultimate (lol), but you still get inconsistent input delays and can still be largely stuck playing players within your region anyways. If someone were going to go through all the effort to refactor an existing emulator to add libretro core support to something, you might as well make a new libretro frontend altogether with a focus on good quality netplay from the netcode to the UI, since that'd probably be easier and more effective. (Adding libretro support to mednafen might be easier than I'm aware, admittedly.)

Okay , some points:

1)there are many Russian retro communities prefer Mednafen, because Retroarch requires disable NAT on connect, but some people have NAT on provider level and there is no way to use Retroarch, because no relay servers here. Also its easy use mednafen with Mednaffe GUI for casual players.

2)retroarch netplay requires very good connection, so if you have unstable connection you will see 'Back to the future' again and again.

3)mednafen netplay allows play clearly with huge distance between players

4)yes maybe mednafen doesn't have chatroom or similar stuff, but I think its easy to add it for comfortable play like a Kaillera stuff for example(cserver/lobby chat+game list on server)
Re: [Libretro] External cores support [message #6562 is a reply to message #6553 ] Thu, 21 October 2021 05:49 Go to previous message
Speedvicio  [PM]
My frontend allows interconnection between users to organize multiplayer sessions with specific channel and the chat support via irc.
It's not the state of the art, it won't be intuitive, and it's limited to windows users only, but it's usable.

The sad thing is that unfortunately this feature is only used regularly by a couple of users, probably because it is unknown or because the frontend itself is complex to use.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:More NES mappers, please.
Next Topic:NES: Request Dendy-mode emulation (NTSC/PAL hybrid)
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ ]

Current Time: Sun May 12 14:25:29 CDT 2024
.:: Contact :: Home ::.