Mednafen Members Members   Search Search   Help Help   Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
Home » Mednafen » Bugs » SNES games aren't working
Show: Today's Messages  :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
SNES games aren't working [message #6606] Fri, 31 December 2021 14:30 Go to next message
lsmssaga  [PM]
Hi and a good day to everyone,

I downloaded Mednafen so I could mainly emulate PSX, Saturn and SNES games, and I must say that the first two are working very well, specially considering the hardware that i'm using (Raspberry Pi 4B). However, I just can't run any SNES game. Everytime I try to play a SNES rom on it, it opens a black screen very briefly, closes it and then a error message appears. I've tried various ROMS and it happened with all of them, and it's not a Mednaffe (GUI) issue. I'm running it on Raspbian OS 64-Bit.

Here are some pics for helping in identifying the problem. Thanks in advance.

Re: SNES games aren't working [message #6607 is a reply to message #6606 ] Sat, 01 January 2022 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AmatCoder  [PM]
Mednaffe (GUI) is giving you wrong errors messages for some strange reason. Ignore them.

Just run mednafen from a terminal and post here the output.
Re: SNES games aren't working [message #6608 is a reply to message #6607 ] Sat, 01 January 2022 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lsmssaga  [PM]
Hi. I did it through the terminal and again, it didn't work. I tried GBA, PSX, NES and SNES roms and all of them worked, except the SNES one.

Re: SNES games aren't working [message #6609 is a reply to message #6608 ] Sat, 01 January 2022 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yuri Bacon  [PM]
*** longjmp causes uninitialized stack frame ***: terminated

This is the issue its having.

I looked it up, and found a post in this thread of someone having the same issue (SNES not working on ARM). Just look for the post
Quote:

SNES won't start under Ubuntu Linaro 12.11 [message #2972
https://forum.fobby.net/index.php?t=tree&th=861&

Everything else I could find online was pointing to some libcurl issue, which I'm not sure is related (medanfen doesn't use libcurl?). Unfortunately, no solution, but a potential work around you can use, is to disable the default SNES core (based on bsnes), and instead enable the SNES_faust core. No clue if it'll work, I don't have a pi or ARM CPU to test on, but its worth a shot I guess.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
she/her
Use my mednafen servers? Contact me! https://discord.gg/ngZuC9c8Wr
Play Digimon Rumble Arena: https://discord.gg/wg5j5Np
Re: SNES games aren't working [message #6610 is a reply to message #6608 ] Sat, 01 January 2022 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AmatCoder  [PM]
*** longjmp causes uninitialized stack frame ***: terminated

This SIGABRT signal happens because on Debian/Rapsbian mednafen executable from repositories is compiled with -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 compiler flag (it provides run-time checks of buffer lengths and memory regions).
So it seems a bug (or false positive) in Mednafen.

If you don't want to recompile mednafen, your best bet is to try snes_faust module as Yuri said. Something like:
mednafen -force_module snes_faust /path/to/your/rom.sfc 
Re: SNES games aren't working [message #6611 is a reply to message #6609 ] Sat, 01 January 2022 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lsmssaga  [PM]
Hi. I ran some SNES roms using the faust module and it worked just fine (it's kind of relieving to know it wasn't me who was doing something wrong, I've always had problems using emulators). Does it (faust) have any perfomance differences to the main module, anyways? Thank you and AmatCoder for taking up your time to help me.
Re: SNES games aren't working [message #6612 is a reply to message #6611 ] Sat, 01 January 2022 23:29 Go to previous message
Yuri Bacon  [PM]
AFAIK, SNES faust is an original mednafen core focused on performance, so it'll run better than the normal core will (tho it probs doesn't make a difference either way since they probs run full speed for you if you can get them to run), but it will be less accurate and might have some emulator specific bugs that the bsnes based core wouldn't.

If you'll just stick to SNES faust, then I'd go into mednafen.cfg and change snes.enable to 0, and snes_faust to 1, so that it uses snes faust by default.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
she/her
Use my mednafen servers? Contact me! https://discord.gg/ngZuC9c8Wr
Play Digimon Rumble Arena: https://discord.gg/wg5j5Np
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:[NGP] 2 bugs about King of Fighters, The - Battle De Paradise
Next Topic:Improve Shoulder Button Recognition for XInput Controllers on Linux
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ ]

Current Time: Sat May 11 11:50:57 CDT 2024
.:: Contact :: Home ::.