Mednafen Members Members   Search Search   Help Help   Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
Home » Mednafen » Feature Requests » Computer Wishlist Poll
Show: Today's Messages  :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Computer Wishlist Poll [message #6635] Fri, 04 February 2022 16:40 Go to next message
Thank You  [PM]

Computer Wishlist Poll[ 10 vote(s) ]
1.Commodore PET/VIC-20/64/16/128/Amiga/64GS/CDTV/CD32 1 / 10%
2.Microsoft/ASCII MSX/2/2+/2 turbo R 2 / 20%
3.NEC PC-88/98 1 / 10%
4.Acorn BBC Micro/Archimedes 1 / 10%
5.Sinclair ZX Spectrum/Next 2 / 20%
6.Amstrad CPC464/664/6128/464 Plus/6128 Plus/GX4000 0 / 0%
7.Sharp X68K 1 / 10%
8.Fujitsu FM Towns/Marty 2 / 20%

Same idea as the "System Wishlist Poll" I created in 2020: place your vote, post an explanation for your choice, order the list from most wanted to least wanted, add your own alternative picks, etc. The focus for this poll is ~30-40 year old computer hardware.

Being better fit for this poll, PC-88/98 and MSX/2/2+/2 turbo R were moved here from the System Wishlist Poll. There were no votes cast for either of them at the time of the move. DOS, also being a better fit here, had a vote cast for it and therefore was not moved so the existing voting results in the System Wishlist Poll have not been disrupted.

Thanks to all contributors of Mednafen. (And thanks to the developers of the original hardware and software!)

[Updated on: Sun, 08 May 2022 16:01]

Re: Computer Wishlist Poll [message #6642 is a reply to message #6635 ] Sun, 13 February 2022 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
F1ReB4LL  [PM]
I would move FMT/Marty to the Consoles poll, since almost all its titles are auto-bootable from CDs + most of them are TV-optimized and playable with joypad. Also, why to merge VIC-20, C64 and Amiga, those are completely different platforms.

FMT probably deserves more attention compared to the others, since there's only 1 good emulator (tsugaru) and 2 half-good (unz, xe), but none of them support filters, proper full screen, Marty ingame resolution switching with its pad's shoulder button and many other things.
Re: Computer Wishlist Poll [message #6643 is a reply to message #6642 ] Sun, 13 February 2022 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank You  [PM]
F1ReB4LL wrote on Sun, 13 February 2022 06:01

Also, why to merge VIC-20, C64 and Amiga, those are completely different platforms.

Different platforms, yes, but all created by Commodore International Corporation. Part of the value of these polls can be aggregation of general (as opposed to specific) interests for developers.

Informative replies and comments (like yours and others who have offered input) are valuable, too, in that they help to further specify interests and can guide development in a more particular direction.

[Updated on: Sun, 13 February 2022 12:36]

Re: Computer Wishlist Poll [message #6648 is a reply to message #6643 ] Sat, 19 February 2022 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
F1ReB4LL  [PM]
Honestly, Mednafen was always a console-only emulator to me (like Xe if anyone remembers it) and the recent Apple II addition looks completely out of place. Personally, I'd prefer to see only those computer systems that were consolized: Commodore 64GS, Amiga CDTV and Amiga CD32; Amstrad GX4000; FM Towns Marty. Maybe also unofficial Daewoo's MSX/MSX2-based consoles called "Zemmix" and Russian ZX Specturm-based consoles called "Elf" and "Kroha".
As for the consolized systems not in this list: Atari 5200 and Atari XEGS (surprised you haven't added the Atari 8-bit systems line into the poll), Tomy Pyuuta Jr.

[Updated on: Sat, 19 February 2022 16:12]

Re: Computer Wishlist Poll [message #6653 is a reply to message #6648 ] Tue, 22 February 2022 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank You  [PM]
Quote:

Honestly, Mednafen was always a console-only emulator to me (like Xe if anyone remembers it) and the recent Apple II addition looks completely out of place. Personally, I'd prefer to see only those computer systems that were consolized: Commodore 64GS, Amiga CDTV and Amiga CD32; Amstrad GX4000; FM Towns Marty. Maybe also unofficial Daewoo's MSX/MSX2-based consoles called "Zemmix" and Russian ZX Specturm-based consoles called "Elf" and "Kroha".

That perspective is similar to how I view Mednafen. It is a stable, curated project aiming for accuracy and simplicity. What do you think about the idea of "cores" being optional like in the MiSTer FPGA project? People choose what they want included separately while building or at boot/setup.

Quote:

As for the consolized systems not in this list: Atari 5200 and Atari XEGS (surprised you haven't added the Atari 8-bit systems line into the poll), Tomy Pyuuta Jr.

Some other omissions are Intellivision, ColecoVision, 3DO, Jaguar... I hope these polls allow room for ongoing communication.

[Updated on: Thu, 31 March 2022 02:13]

Re: Computer Wishlist Poll [message #6654 is a reply to message #6648 ] Tue, 22 February 2022 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Speedvicio  [PM]
F1ReB4LL wrote on Sat, 19 February 2022 16:08

I agree with your thoughts, expecially about Commodore console.

[Updated on: Tue, 22 February 2022 05:45]

Re: Computer Wishlist Poll [message #6659 is a reply to message #6635 ] Sat, 26 February 2022 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank You  [PM]
Commodore and Amstrad entries have been updated with more specificity. This reflects input from members F1ReB4LL and Speedvicio. There were no votes cast for either entry at the time of the update. Existing voting results have not been disrupted.

[Updated on: Wed, 04 May 2022 23:54]

Re: Computer Wishlist Poll [message #6708 is a reply to message #6635 ] Thu, 05 May 2022 00:00 Go to previous message
Thank You  [PM]
Entries edited with more specificity. Existing voting results have not been disrupted.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Update PC-FX Game Names
Next Topic:xBRZ shader, please?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ ]

Current Time: Mon May 13 08:04:01 CDT 2024
.:: Contact :: Home ::.