Mednafen Members Members   Search Search   Help Help   Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
Home » Mednafen » General » Saturn Netplay
Show: Today's Messages  :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Saturn Netplay [message #6805] Fri, 21 October 2022 17:52 Go to next message
trevostuden  [PM]
If NetPlay is possible, can anyone help me get it going? additionally am interested to find other people that would want to play some games via Mednafen over the internet. If this has already been discussed can somebody, please direct me to the post? Thanks in advance and apologies if this is inappropriate.

"Fathers and Teachers, I ponder, "What is hell?" I maintain that it is the suffering of being unable to love." -Fyodor Dostoevsky
Re: Saturn Netplay [message #6806 is a reply to message #6805 ] Sat, 22 October 2022 13:22 Go to previous message
Yuri Bacon  [PM]
If this seems confusing for you, maybe try using a frontend to help make joining netplay easier, like mednaffe or NullDC BEAR or something.

Step 1 - Open the game you wish to netplay in mednafen

Step 2 - Press T to open the chat bar. You'll use this to talk to other people in netplay, as well as run some commands. Use /help to get a list of all of them.

Step 3 - use /gamekey <gamekey> to set your gamekey. A gamekey is basically like a lobby code or password to filter out people you don't want to play with. Everyone has to know the password to play together. If you're gonna be playing a not insanely popular game like Super Mario Kart on netplay.fobby.net server, you'll probably be fine without a gamekey, so you can use /gamekey to just clear it entirely, but there is the chance someone you don't want to play with will join you.

Step 4 - use /server <server> to join into a netplay server. If you use just /server, you'll join the last server you played on, or netplay.fobby.net if you haven't played netplay before. You'll want to either pick a server close to you, or that is roughly halfway between you and whoever you're playing with. I have a list of public netplay servers (that I'm aware of anyhow) here for you to reference: https://forum.fobby.net/index.php?t=tree&th=1879&

Thats it! Once you successfully join, the game should say "You, <nickname>, have connected as: player #".

NOTES:
- Everyone has to use the same mednafen version, for example 1.29.0 (lastest stable as of writing). If someone has a different version, they'll get an error when they join and be kicked from the server.
- Everyone has to be playing the same game. For ROM based systems, this is exact, down to the exact byte of the ROM. For CD based systems, mednafen does, uh, something else to figure out if you're playing the same game or not, so be careful with modding CD games in netplay.
- You can use /nick <name> to change what name you appear as to others.
- You can also use /swap, /take, /drop, /dupe to change around who has what controller and stuff.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
she/her
Use my mednafen servers? Contact me! https://discord.gg/ngZuC9c8Wr
Play Digimon Rumble Arena: https://discord.gg/wg5j5Np
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:"Rewind" no longer working
Next Topic:Question about SNES emulation on Mednafen
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ ]

Current Time: Sat May 11 17:51:22 CDT 2024
.:: Contact :: Home ::.