Mednafen Members Members   Search Search   Help Help   Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
Home » Mednafen » General » Question about SNES emulation on Mednafen
Show: Today's Messages  :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Question about SNES emulation on Mednafen [message #6808] Wed, 26 October 2022 08:24 Go to next message
jorgekorke  [PM]
Hello there,

I am from a south american community that plays online competitively a specific SNES game called "International Superstar Soccer Deluxe", and we have been holding online competitions since 2006.

However, we've been using the same old ZSNES 1.42 + VPN software (i.e. hamachi) combo for all these sixteen years, and we have an interest on moving to a more modern environment - after all, ZSNES has been discontinued for a long, long time. Past experiences with SNES9X were extremely frustrating because the netplay causes a lot more internet lag compared to ZSNES - and the answer people gave us on forums is that this emulator was simply not built for that.

We heard about Mednafen and got interested to switch (mainly because of the integration with Null DC bear), however, we noticed that the game performance is considerably worse than ZSNES, making frustrating for players who are used to a fast-paced gameplay to be forced to deal with stutters and slowdowns.

After some research, we have concluded that ZSNES runs the game naturally overclocked for some reason, because this slow-motion moments are present on console. However, even though this poor performance is natural for the SNES console in real life, we don't like it and would rather have a clean and smooth experience - a similar situation compared to Star Fox: the game ran horribly on console, so accuracy there is not a cool thing to own and people praise those Super FX overclocks to deliver a better gameplay.

So, with this context, the question: is there a option to enable some degree of overclocking on Mednafen on SNES?
Re: Question about SNES emulation on Mednafen [message #6809 is a reply to message #6808 ] Thu, 27 October 2022 23:56 Go to previous message
Yuri Bacon  [PM]
There is no overclocking option, but you could perhaps try the snes_faust core? The normal snes core in mednafen is based on bsnes, a very accurate SNES emulator (the most accurate one to exist as far as I know), but the snes_faust core was instead developed by the mednafen developer themself, with the intention of being less accurate for the sake of having better performance on lower end computers, so maybe you'll be lucky and the game doesn't have slow down with it.

To use the snes_faust core instead of the normal one, just open the mednafen.cfg file in a text editor (try Notepad++ if regular Notepad doesn't work) and find the line with "snes.enable" on it, and change it from "snes.enable 1" to "snes.enable 0"

I'll also note: Normally I'd recommend trying to pick a server half way between two players (if one player is on the US east coast, and the other US west coast, you'd want to use my tx or il server for example) to keep the lag even between two players, since otherwise one player will have more lag than the other. Since you say you're from a South American community tho, there isn't any public SA netplay server that I'm aware of. NullDC BEAR can host a server locally on your own computer if you set up the VPN software is usually uses and use its built in challenging interface, so you'll probably find yourselves relying on that, if none of you can or will host a netplay server 24/7. I've looked at VPS hosting in SA, and all of it is really expansive compared to the rest of the world from what I can find ($30 a month for a low end instance instead of $5, in USD at least), so you'll either have to be willing to fork up a decent chunk a cash, or run it out of someone's house. Thankfully its not hard to set the netplay server up (hit me up in my discord in my signature if you need help setting one up, I'd be glad to help).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
she/her
Use my mednafen servers? Contact me! https://discord.gg/ngZuC9c8Wr
Play Digimon Rumble Arena: https://discord.gg/wg5j5Np
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Saturn Netplay
Next Topic:Sega Saturn emulator compatibility with MPEG Video Cards
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ ]

Current Time: Sat May 11 21:48:25 CDT 2024
.:: Contact :: Home ::.