Mednafen Members Members   Search Search   Help Help   Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
Home » Mednafen » Bugs » [PSX] Policenauts audio/video sync problem on FMV play
Show: Today's Messages  :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
[PSX] Policenauts audio/video sync problem on FMV play [message #6937] Fri, 08 September 2023 11:01 Go to next message
Infrid  [PM]
Policenauts for PSX plays FMVs with a noticeable audio/video desync that gets worse with the increasing number of frames.

On real hardware there isn't any problem, FMV play just fine, no desync. But on mednafen, or any other emulator I tried, there is this problem.

I prepared a video sample, you can preview it here.

This sample has the same starting frame, it's recorded at the same framerate too.

If you can't catch the problem from the video, here is a comparison of the waveforms from the audio tracks, you can click on the image.

https://thumbs4.imagebam.com/b6/09/b4/MEOOPRO_t.png

You can also find the full footage here, among other tests.

On that folder you can find a xdelta patch I prepared for the original Japanese image, you can quickly reproduce the problem by starting a new game.

My computer is pretty beefy, I don't think it's related to my computing performance, also this problem has been noticed by my friends too on their configurations.

I honestly don't know why this game has this peculiar problem on emulators, but I have to mention that konami implemented a file container for such sequences to pack audio, video, subs and timings data in one place. So it might rely on some precise timing on hardware.

I am open to help as much as I can, I can provide more sampler or test some changes on mednafen if you need.

Thank you!
Re: [PSX] Policenauts audio/video sync problem on FMV play [message #6939 is a reply to message #6937 ] Thu, 14 September 2023 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
What's the model number of the PS1 you're testing on?

Are you saying there's a problem with the original game, or only with the patched version?

[Updated on: Thu, 14 September 2023 22:20]

Re: [PSX] Policenauts audio/video sync problem on FMV play [message #6940 is a reply to message #6939 ] Fri, 15 September 2023 03:51 Go to previous message
Infrid  [PM]
we tested so far on two console, both tests had the correct timing

• SCPH-1002 modded with a GPU oscillator to get the correct NTSC timing (I can give you details on that, a friend of mine is fond with PSX hardware). This console also had a clone of P$10 installed, we thought this bug might be related the CD drive for some reason.
  • SCPH-7002 PAL model, using CD drive, no problems so far.

We tested the original Japanese release, to avoid any contamination from the patch.

I recently found out ARES emulator can play the game correctly, this is the first emulator so far that does that apart MisterFPGA's core.

Let me know if you need more info or tests from us!

Thank you
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:[Linux] PulseAudio crash
Next Topic:[Sega Saturn] Crosshair is misaligned in some light gun games
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ ]

Current Time: Sun May 12 03:33:47 CDT 2024
.:: Contact :: Home ::.