Mednafen Members Members   Search Search   Help Help   Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
Home » Mednafen » General » Pipewire is making mednafen slowing down Playstatio / Sega Saturn games
Show: Today's Messages  :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Pipewire is making mednafen slowing down Playstatio / Sega Saturn games [message #6972] Sun, 03 December 2023 21:50 Go to next message
Proscrit  [PM]
Hi! I'm a EndeavourOs linux user (an Arch based distro), and I'm using Pipewire 1:1.0.0-2 as sound server (with Alsa driver). I noticed that my Playstation games, like Chrono Cross, began with 60 fps in the opening, and then fall to 15-18 fps in it. When I disable the sound driver in Mednafen, this doesn't occur. Same thing in Sega Saturn games, like Lgend of Oasis - sometimes the slowdown occurs inside the game, sometimes in the opening logo. Other problem is noise artifacts in the opening of Playstation / Sega Saturn games.
To correct this problems, I tried to configure Pipewire (there are many people saying that some tweaks in config files corrects noises artificts in it), changing the sound card default rate (48000), but this makes things worst - games start directly at low framerates, other games are affected - like Castlevania Symphony of the Night (I was playing it without speed errors, doesn't know why), and affects others programs in my system - like my music player.
So I'm posting looking for some advice, because pipewire was installed as a replacement for pulseaudio, and I didn't have this problems before that.
Should I downgrade my system to pulseaudio?
Thanks for any advice.

My system:
Endeavour Os - Kernel 6.6.3-arch1-1
Pipewire 1:1.0.0-2
Machine: Intel Core i5-6400 - 16 Gib Ram
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 530
Audio: Creative Labs EMU10k1 [Sound Blaster Live!]
Re: Pipewire is making mednafen slowing down Playstatio / Sega Saturn games [message #6974 is a reply to message #6972 ] Mon, 04 December 2023 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
EMU10K1, EMU10K2, EMU20K1, and EMU20K2 all support hardware mixing IIRC, so you should be able to just bypass the sound server and specify the ALSA hardware device directly in Mednafen via the "sound.device" setting. Though you will probably want to keep the "sound.rate" setting at its default value of "48000", so that you're not relying on the relatively low-quality resampler in the old EMU10K1.

Otherwise, I'd say use whichever sound server is empirically less half-baked. Wink

[Updated on: Mon, 04 December 2023 13:10]

Re: Pipewire is making mednafen slowing down Playstatio / Sega Saturn games [message #6977 is a reply to message #6974 ] Tue, 05 December 2023 22:21 Go to previous message
Proscrit  [PM]
Hi! Thanks for the fast answer.
After some strugle, I decided to remove pipewire and reinstall Pulseudio.
So my games (Playstation and Sega Saturn) doesn't slow down anymore.
The only problem left is the noise artifacts, but since it began after I changed some config files and other programs have this issue, I think this a error in my system.
I will try to look forward the solution searching in the internet.
Thank you for your attention.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:mednafen error
Next Topic:Mednafen Multiplayer
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ ]

Current Time: Sat May 11 17:59:36 CDT 2024
.:: Contact :: Home ::.