Mednafen Members Members   Search Search   Help Help   Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
Home » Other » PC Engine, PC-FX » compression love!
Show: Today's Messages  :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
compression love! [message #902] Mon, 06 August 2007 01:38
Malducci  [PM]
Pucrunch is the sigh of love, in all things LZSS variant ( http://www.cs.tut.fi/~albert/Dev/pucrunch/ ).

This is a conversion of the 65C02 standalone decompression source for PCE(CD). I added a few things like automatic bank rollover (source). As of current, the largest decompressed file is limited to 32k until I can add additional code for destination bank rollover.

On average, pucrunch does a fair bit better on compression than standard LZSS, but decompression is much slower. Also, pucrunch does *very* well with 4bit linear tile format, though you'd have to convert it to 4bpp composite on the fly to the VDC, after decompressing the stream.

A working example for the working folk. Everything needed to compile the cd image is there. Just run the example.bat from command prompt (not double click it).

Example.

Some quick numbers: the 57k tile set file compresses to 16k with LZSS and 10k with pucrunch.

(Note: I had to split the tile set into two files since the decompressed size was larger than 32k.)

-Rich

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Bugs(on a real PC-FX)
Next Topic:Other systems that use the V810
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ ]

Current Time: Sun May 12 03:56:15 CDT 2024
.:: Contact :: Home ::.