Mednafen Members Members   Search Search   Help Help   Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
Home » Site » News » Mednafen 0.9.15-WIP
Show: Today's Messages  :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Mednafen 0.9.15-WIP [message #1906] Sat, 13 November 2010 05:31 Go to next message
Administrator  [PM]
-- 0.9.15-WIP: --

November 12, 2010:
	SNES: Reworked a floating-point compare to work correctly with x87 FPU math on gcc(and probably most 32-bit x86
	compilers).  TODO: Audit code to find and correct any other instances of similar problematic floating-point code.

November 11, 2010:
	MasterCycles field of EmulateSpecStruct is now assigned in more emulated systems.

November 10, 2010:
	Genesis: Converted the "md.region" and "md.reported_region" settings to enum types, to allow for automatic document
	generation for the various values for these settings.

Genesis: Fixed various issues that were preventing emulation from working properly on big-endian systems.

SNES: Updated the PowerPC code in libco with "blargg_libco_ppc64-5".

November 9, 2010:
	VB: Fixed an endian-related bug with joystick input state decoding.

VB: Made the VIP emulation code big-endian-compatible.

VB, PC-FX: Made the V810 core's "fast" mode work on big-endian platforms.

Genesis: Fixed a major problem with illegal instruction handling; executing a long string of illegal instructions
	will no longer lock up Mednafen.  Thanks to Zombie for pointing out the lockup problem.

November 8, 2010:

Fixed(hopefully) OpenGL pixel shader initialization error detection.

Fixed "supereagle" special scaler crashing when the source surface was large.

VB: Added setting "vb.sidebyside.separation", which controls the number of pixels between the L/R view(pixel count is
	pre-scaling by xscale(fs)), with a default value of 0.  Previously, the effective separation for the sidebyside
	was 16, so if you want to replicate the behavior of previous versions, set this setting's value to 16.

November 7, 2010:
	NGP, SMS, NES: const-ified some const data.

NGP, PC-FX, NES, WonderSwan: Fixed various initialization issues(they're not a problem now, but it's done for future-proofing).

WonderSwan: Fixed internal EEPROM initialization to not persist across game loadings(this doesn't apply to Mednafen...
	yet ;)).  TODO: Evaluate removing persistence across power events.

MDFND_DestroyMutex() now actually frees the memory for the mutex wrapper.

Fixed a few initialization and deinitialization bugs in cdrom/cdromif.cpp (thanks to Rakashazi for pointing them out)

[Updated on: Fri, 14 November 2014 21:52]

Mednafen 0.9.15-WIP [message #1914 is a reply to message #1906 ] Sat, 13 November 2010 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Speedvicio  [PM]
No windows attachment?
Re: Mednafen 0.9.15-WIP [message #1923 is a reply to message #1906 ] Sun, 14 November 2010 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
safaribans  [PM]
Excellent release! Thank you for fixing the floating point compares in the snes module. Sounds absolutely perfect now!

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
-- Mark Twain
Re: Mednafen 0.9.15-WIP [message #1924 is a reply to message #1906 ] Sun, 14 November 2010 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dullaron  [PM]
I don't have the tools to make one. Sad
Re: Mednafen 0.9.15-WIP [message #1927 is a reply to message #1906 ] Tue, 16 November 2010 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
Win32 build uploaded. In yesterday, it's still Sunday!
Re: Mednafen 0.9.15-WIP [message #1928 is a reply to message #1927 ] Tue, 16 November 2010 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Speedvicio  [PM]
This wip version is perfect!

Solved the problem with low audio bitrate in snes mode, the pixshader now work correctly with ati series.

Possible is to solve any graphic glitch problems with any genesis game? (James Pond 3 - Operation Starfish for example).
Re: Mednafen 0.9.15-WIP [message #1929 is a reply to message #1906 ] Tue, 16 November 2010 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
I need to fix some PC Engine VDC emulation stuff before I can devote attention to Genesis emulation again, but I'm taking a break for now.
Re: Mednafen 0.9.15-WIP [message #1930 is a reply to message #1929 ] Wed, 17 November 2010 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haikai  [PM]
Quote:

a break

Well deserved I would say. Enjoy! :}
Re: Mednafen 0.9.15-WIP [message #1938 is a reply to message #1906 ] Tue, 23 November 2010 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VisitntX  [PM]
Just a question. Once you start to work again in the emu, sometime soon or later I guess you will have to rewrite the cheat engine so it can work with the new systems, right? Just to know, as I am that crazy man that used to do lot of codes for old systems and as Mednafen is one of my fav emus just was wondering.

That's said, thanks a lot man, I know is really hard keep it to what is becoming.

--Edited--

Now, after more serious test I found that in MD (genesis) FF becomes e0. Still trying to find a way to use my rom hacks, not just ram.

SNES, well can't search anything there, dunno why. Nothing seems to work when it comes to cheats.

Didn't know if this is correct place to put this, probably not, but as is just a matter of the wip versions thought fits better here.

[Updated on: Thu, 25 November 2010 08:54]

Re: Mednafen 0.9.15-WIP [message #1941 is a reply to message #1906 ] Sat, 27 November 2010 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klez  [PM]
Is somewhere a 0.9.15 build for mac osx?

I´d like to try this exciting new version.
Re: Mednafen 0.9.15-WIP [message #1942 is a reply to message #1906 ] Sat, 27 November 2010 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pixel_Crusher  [PM]
I started some bug hunting on the Mega Drive side of the emulator. So far, I've found these:

X-Men (USA): The end level puzzle in Mojo's world is broken. You have to press the soft reset button (in mednafen, F10) after destroying a monitor at the end of the level in order to proceed further with the game.

Instead of the Sega boot logo, a screen full of binary code shows up to confirm that the soft reset procedure worked. In mednafen, it always shows the Sega boot logo no matter how I try to reset the game in this point.

X-Men 2 - Clone Wars (USA, Europe): The introductory stage always uses the same character. In reality, the game should pick one of the many playable characters randomly every time the game is booted-up/reset.

Earthworm Jim (Brazil): Not Mega Drive related, but I though it would be worth mentioning. The game doesn't seem to work past the stage title-card screen.

That's all for now. I'll be sure to report more findings as I play more games. Thanks for the WIP, and enjoy that well deserved break of yours. Smile
icon9.gif  Re: Mednafen 0.9.15-WIP [message #1947 is a reply to message #1906 ] Mon, 29 November 2010 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wolfo  [PM]
Hey, I'm having trouble compiling this on Ubuntu. It stops with a segmentation fault in the SNES module.

In constructor ‘SNES::sCPU::sCPU()’:
cc1plus: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault

I uploaded the full output to pastebin.

I'd be grateful for any pointers! :)
Re: Mednafen 0.9.15-WIP [message #1948 is a reply to message #1906 ] Mon, 29 November 2010 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wolfo  [PM]
So, I read the thread on v0.9.12, and someone had the same error. I used gcc 4.1, 4.4 and 4.5 now, with the same result though. Someone in that thread suggested omitting the SNES module as a workaround, how can I do that?
Re: Mednafen 0.9.15-WIP [message #1949 is a reply to message #1906 ] Mon, 29 November 2010 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
Pass --disable-snes to the configure script.
Re: Mednafen 0.9.15-WIP [message #1950 is a reply to message #1949 ] Mon, 29 November 2010 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wolfo  [PM]
Great, thanks for the hint.
Getting my first headaches now from testing Virtual Boy :D

Btw, what do you think about adding a Colecovision module? It's a great classic console, and Linux definitely needs a decent emulator for that. ColEm doesn't work well, neither does Meka(nix). Maybe it's just the interface. Just an idea.
Re: Mednafen 0.9.15-WIP [message #1953 is a reply to message #1906 ] Tue, 30 November 2010 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pixel_Crusher  [PM]
By the way, is there a "pause emulation" key?
Re: Mednafen 0.9.15-WIP [message #1954 is a reply to message #1906 ] Tue, 30 November 2010 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
ALT-A will effectively pause it, then ALT-R to start it back up.
Re: Mednafen 0.9.15-WIP [message #1955 is a reply to message #1906 ] Tue, 30 November 2010 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SamDeRe81  [PM]
Is there any reason we can't get a .deb compiled for Ubuntu Maverick? Come on I don't understand how to compile from source! Do I need to uninstall my old Mednafen through Synaptic first? Where does the new source install go? Do I need to move it there? SIGH
Re: Mednafen 0.9.15-WIP [message #1956 is a reply to message #1906 ] Tue, 30 November 2010 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
Yeah, I'm not being paid enough. Wink
Re: Mednafen 0.9.15-WIP [message #1964 is a reply to message #1955 ] Thu, 02 December 2010 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
safaribans  [PM]
How to compile from source.

Please download and extract the mednafen-0.9.15-wip.tar.bz2, fire up a terminal and go to the mednafen directory

(and yes you could automate that step from commandline with wget and tar and cd...)

Get your dependencies (hopefully it gets them all, I installed them long ago so I've forgotten) and build it.
sudo aptitude install build-essential
sudo aptitude build-dep mednafen
./configure
make

Now, if you want to make and install a simple deb, you can use checkinstall

sudo aptitude install checkinstall
sudo checkinstall

Then just follow the prompts, it will create and install a deb.

or, just install

sudo make install

Note: If you get an error about a missing dependency, post it here. We can add it to the aptitude command and maybe make a sticky post.

Compiling is fun and easy darn it! (Well fun for me, since I'm not writing the software, just compiling it Wink )

[Updated on: Thu, 02 December 2010 02:31]

-- Mark Twain
Re: Mednafen 0.9.15-WIP [message #1966 is a reply to message #1906 ] Thu, 02 December 2010 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zombie_ryushu  [PM]
The latest update of bsnes has support for Super Game Boy.
Re: Mednafen 0.9.15-WIP [message #1967 is a reply to message #1906 ] Fri, 03 December 2010 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rakashazi  [PM]
I have a suggestion for improving the thread/mutex api. Instead of defining MDFN_Thread & MDFN_Mutex as objects containing a void pointer in a header, change them to forward declarations and leave the driver code to define their contents. This eliminates the need for potentially error-prone void* casting and removes an extra pointer indirection when accessing the objects. I'm already doing it like this in PCE.emu and it's simplified the thread code quite nicely Smile

Also, will you be adding 16-bit rendering for any other systems in the future?
Re: Mednafen 0.9.15-WIP [message #1968 is a reply to message #1906 ] Fri, 03 December 2010 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SamDeRe81  [PM]
When I run ./configure it goes through and at the very end says configure: error: *** OpenGL header file not found!

So I have no way of compiling it. I know what it's talking about, I have Intel 945GM and it's requesting developer files for it I think, but where the hell do I find those?

How do I create a .deb file from this crap : sigh :

Do I need to uninstall the previous version? Help!
Re: Mednafen 0.9.15-WIP [message #1969 is a reply to message #1968 ] Sat, 04 December 2010 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zombie_ryushu  [PM]
You need to install your mesa-devel packages
Re: Mednafen 0.9.15-WIP [message #1970 is a reply to message #1968 ] Sat, 04 December 2010 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
safaribans  [PM]
SamDeRe81

When I run ./configure it goes through and at the very end says configure: error: *** OpenGL header file not found!

So I have no way of compiling it. I know what it's talking about, I have Intel 945GM and it's requesting developer files for it I think, but where the hell do I find those?

How do I create a .deb file from this crap : sigh :

Do I need to uninstall the previous version? Help!

You are doing fine. You don't have to uninstall mednafen until you are ready to do
sudo make install

or if you want to build a deb
sudo checkinstall

I have an intel 945gm too.
sudo aptitude install libgl-mesa-dev

Anytime configure gives you an error about something missing, look in Synaptic for whatever is missing prefixed by a lib, and suffixed by dev (in general...)

For example if it complains about SDL not being found, you'd want to look for something like

libsdl-dev

Keep at it, and it's best to use the Quick Search feature of Synaptic if you aren't sure of the name, try putting libsdl-dev in the quick search box to see what I mean.

[Updated on: Sat, 04 December 2010 16:08]

-- Mark Twain
Re: Mednafen 0.9.15-WIP [message #1978 is a reply to message #1906 ] Sat, 18 December 2010 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nikdog  [PM]
MacOS X 10.6.5 build errors
Making all in hw_cpu
depbase=`echo c68k/c68kexec.o | sed 's|[^/]*$|.deps/&|;s|\.o$||'`;\
	gcc -DLOCALEDIR=\"/usr/local/share/locale\" -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -ffast-math  -I../../include -I../../intl -I../../include/blip -I../..   -I/opt/local/include   -I/opt/local/include    -fsigned-char  -Wall -Winline -Wshadow -Wempty-body  -fomit-frame-pointer -finline-limit=6000 --param large-function-growth=800 --param inline-unit-growth=175 --param max-inline-insns-single=10000 -fno-strict-overflow   -I/opt/local/include   -I/opt/local/include    -fsigned-char  -Wall -Winline -Wshadow -Wempty-body  -fomit-frame-pointer -finline-limit=6000 --param large-function-growth=800 --param inline-unit-growth=175 --param max-inline-insns-single=10000 -fno-strict-overflow -g -O2 -MT c68k/c68kexec.o -MD -MP -MF $depbase.Tpo -c -o c68k/c68kexec.o c68k/c68kexec.c &&\
	mv -f $depbase.Tpo $depbase.Po
In file included from c68k/c68kexec.c:139:
c68k/c68k_op5.inc: In function ‘C68k_Exec’:
c68k/c68k_op5.inc:3888: warning: unused variable ‘res’
rm -f libmdfnhwcpu.a
ar cru libmdfnhwcpu.a c68k/c68kexec.o c68k/c68k.o z80-fuse/z80.o z80-fuse/z80_ops.o v810/v810_cpu.o v810/v810_cpuD.o v810/fpu-new/softfloat.o huc6280/huc6280.o 
ranlib libmdfnhwcpu.a
Making all in hw_misc
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
Making all in hw_sound
Making all in hw_video
Making all in tremor
Making all in mpcdec
Making all in sound
depbase=`echo error.o | sed 's|[^/]*$|.deps/&|;s|\.o$||'`;\
	g++ -DLOCALEDIR=\"/usr/local/share/locale\" -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -ffast-math -I../include -I../include/blip -I../intl   -I/opt/local/include   -I/opt/local/include    -fsigned-char  -Wall -Winline -Wshadow -Wempty-body  -fomit-frame-pointer -finline-limit=6000 --param large-function-growth=800 --param inline-unit-growth=175 --param max-inline-insns-single=10000 -fno-strict-overflow   -g -O2 -MT error.o -MD -MP -MF $depbase.Tpo -c -o error.o error.cpp &&\
	mv -f $depbase.Tpo $depbase.Po
error.cpp: In member function ‘void ErrnoHolder::SetErrno(int)’:
error.cpp:104: error: invalid conversion from ‘int’ to ‘char*’
make[2]: *** [error.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
StarDestroyer:mednafen nikdog$

Suggestions?
Re: Mednafen 0.9.15-WIP [message #1979 is a reply to message #1906 ] Sun, 19 December 2010 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
Replacement file. Does it work?

• Attachment: error.cpp
    (Size: 2.68KB, Downloaded 272 time(s))

[Updated on: Sun, 19 December 2010 03:00]

Re: Mednafen 0.9.15-WIP [message #1980 is a reply to message #1906 ] Sun, 19 December 2010 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nikdog  [PM]
Worked like a charm
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
StarDestroyer:mednafen nikdog$ 

Thank you.

Edit:
New Problem
Starting Mednafen 0.9.15
 Internal emulation modules: nes snes gb gba pce pce_fast lynx md pcfx ngp vb wswan sms gg cdplay mmplay
 External emulation modules: 
128 1905 1920 -1920
Math test failed: tests.cpp:154
Math test failed: tests.cpp:154

[Updated on: Sun, 19 December 2010 14:02]

Re: Mednafen 0.9.15-WIP [message #1981 is a reply to message #1906 ] Sun, 19 December 2010 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator  [PM]
There's a bug in older versions of gcc that produces bad code when a certain optimization is turned off.

Around line 96-ish of configure.ac should be
AX_CFLAGS_GCC_OPTION([-fno-strict-overflow], OPTIMIZER_FLAGS)

You can try replacing it with
AX_CFLAGS_GCC_OPTION([-fwrapv], OPTIMIZER_FLAGS)

if that still doesn't work, just remove the line entirely. I can't guarantee everything will work correctly after that, but most things should work most-correctly.

(Before you edit configure.ac, you'll need to make distclean. Then after editing, run ./autogen.sh, and then do the whole ./configure and make thing again)

Do tell me if -fwrapv solves the tests.cpp error, without causing apparent problems elsewhere.

[Updated on: Sun, 19 December 2010 14:58]

Re: Mednafen 0.9.15-WIP [message #1983 is a reply to message #1981 ] Sun, 19 December 2010 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nikdog  [PM]
it fixed it. I haven't had any problems with PCE or PCFX so far.
Re: Mednafen 0.9.15-WIP [message #2019 is a reply to message #1906 ] Tue, 11 January 2011 01:34 Go to previous message
Nodtveidt  [PM]
Awesome to see that this is still in development. Smile

:D
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Mednafen 0.9.14-WIP
Next Topic:Mednafen 0.9.17-WIP
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ ]

Current Time: Wed May 8 15:58:31 CDT 2024
.:: Contact :: Home ::.